Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
DistressedAsset
Novice
Liked: never

Cannot configure Synology NAS as backup proxy

Post by DistressedAsset »

I would be grateful if someone chipped in.

I'm running Backup for Microsoft Office 365 with all updates applied and the repositories upgraded. The backup to a local PC and PC backups to the NAS work perfectly fine, but I cannot figure out why I can't backup Veeam to my Synology NAS (with the latest DSM 6.2.1) on a Google Wifi network.

I presume I need to set up a new backup proxy to backup to the NAS. I've installed the Synology DNS Server package, set up a zone with the master ID/domain "storage.local" (ns.storage.local with an IP ending in ...39). Under "resolution", "resolution services" and "enable forwarders (IP ending in ...1)" are enabled.

In Veeam, I click on "add proxy", specifiy the host as "storage.local" (I've also tried "storage" only as well a s both IPs ending in 1 and 39), try both the default port 9193 and 5097 that I have specified for my NAS; chose the username as "storage\USER" and of course the password.

What am I doing wrong?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Cannot configure Synology NAS as backup proxy

Post by nielsengelen » 1 person likes this post

VBO365 supports SMB3 as a backup target. More information on how to configure this can be found in the following topics:
post322962.html?#p322962
post291963.html?#p288078
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

One important thing is that I see that you used a username and password. If all other requirements for SMB 3 are fulfilled, then you need to add the computeraccount to the share with read/ write rights. A username won't work
DistressedAsset
Novice

Thanks Mike! I am getting a bit closer, the VBO now says "adding proxy", I never got to that point before. However, it fails when "check existing proxy components...unable to connect". Perhaps it's a connectivity issue, I am moving a large amount of data over Wifi right now. I'll give it another try later. Thanks!
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

I believe the issue is that you're adding it as a backup proxy, while you can simply add it as a repository following the instructions provided above.

DistressedAsset
Novice

Thanks Polina, that thought occurred to me too, but if I add it as repository, there is no way I can specify the NAS as backup destination.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hey DistressedAsset,

You need to connect the repository to a proxy. That could be your VBO server or any other proxy that you already created. Once you selected the already existing proxy, you need to type in something like \\192.168.1.1\sharename from the NAS. (In this step: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=30)

Can you try that?