Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
dan.kennedy
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dan Kennedy

[Feature request] Email job notifications

Post by dan.kennedy »

Why can we not set email notifications on a per-job basis? I can only see the option to set global notifications?

We run O365 backup as a service for a number of customers. One of them wants an automated email report each morning showing their last job status and all the users/sharepoint sites included.

The mailbox protection report is no good to us in this situation as it contains all our customers data not just the customer who has requested it (It also throws a 500 server error every time I run it so it's useless anyway!)

Is the only way to do this with Powershell?!
Seems like it would be quite simple to have a notification tab on the job itself that would achieve exactly what we need - without me having to write custom PS scripts.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: [Feature request] Email job notifications

Post by nielsengelen »

Hi Dan, this has been requested before but for now, the only workaround is to benefit from Powershell. There is no ETA when this will become available.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
dan.kennedy
Service Provider

Post by dan.kennedy »

Ok thanks for letting me know.

By any chance are there any pre-rolled PS scripts that will achieve what I need?

I've messed around with Get-VBOSession -Last and expanding the logs but I can't seem to find a way of outputting a simple summary of the job (start time/status plus all the users contained within it)
I'm also seeing issues when a job does a retry as the -last switch means i will only see the mailboxes that were retried not everything contained within the job
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

I have not seen any scripts yet around this as most providers leverage custom outcomes. They tend to mix Get-VBOSession with Get-VBOEntityData.

Regarding the 500 error in your original post, did you by any chance already contact support on this for a solution/insight?
dan.kennedy
Service Provider

Post by dan.kennedy »

No I haven't raised the 500 error with support as yet - was hoping to get around it using the built-in notification emails but looks like that may not be possible.

What i need is basically the exact same notification email you receive if you select "notify on success" - it's nicely formatted and contains all the info I require. The only reason I can't do this is because of the global level of the notification settings - this customer would end up getting status reports for every customer on our platform!

Are the success notification emails stored anywhere on the server or are they just HTML generated on the fly after the job completes?
If they were stored in AppData or somewhere similar I could just pick the HTML file up from there and send it on.
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

They are generated on the fly after the job is finished.
dan.kennedy
Service Provider

Post by dan.kennedy »

Oh well, back to the ISE i go then! :(

Thanks for your help anyway.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Dan,

Just to be sure... What exactly are you looking into? 1 job = 1 email to a specific email address? Or each job = 1 email to the global defined email address? Or even more different? I'm interested as I am working on specific scenario's for later releases :-)
dan.kennedy
Service Provider

Post by dan.kennedy »

Hi Mike,

Ideally I just want to set a notification email address for each individual job rather than having all notifications go to the same address.
We have multiple customers on the same platform so at the moment we can't send the notifications to them directly - they all come to us so we can monitor them.

I've cobbled together the powershell below which gives me details of the last job run in an HTML table - but it does have issues - a retry on the job for example would only show me the objects which were retried, not the whole job....seems like it shouldn't be so complicated just to get an email notification sent out!!

$style = "<style>BODY{font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt;}"
$style = $style + "TABLE{border: 1px solid black; border-collapse: collapse;}"
$style = $style + "TH{border: 1px solid black; background: #dddddd; padding: 5px; text-align:center }"
$style = $style + "TD{border: 1px solid black; padding: 5px; text-align:center }"
$style = $style + "</style>"

$returnObj = @()

$job = Get-VBOJob -Name "*JOB NAME*"

$session = Get-VBOJobSession -Job $job -Last
$single = $session.log | sort

foreach ($line in $single){

$obj = New-Object PSObject -Property @{`

"Object" = $line.title
"Start Time" = $line.CreationTime
"End Time" = $line.EndTime

} | select Object,"Start Time","End Time"

$returnObj += $obj
}
TheMoonster
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dustin Burns

Post by TheMoonster » 1 person likes this post

Bump +1

Would be great to have per-job email notifications.

Also I'd like to see a way to reduce the amount of email notifications on a job that runs multiple times a day.
Ex. I have a job to backup just OneDrive for users every 2 hours. Would be nice to get a daily summary email instead of multiple times a day.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks Dustin.

So you would like an option for a daily mail, that includes all backup runs for that day correct?

Do you use Veeam ONE?
Switchie_Urs
Service Provider
Full Name: Urs

Post by Switchie_Urs »

TheMoonster wrote: Jul 13, 2021 5:22 pm Would be great to have per-job email notifications.
+1
aagrapart
Service Provider

Post by aagrapart »

nielsengelen wrote: Nov 04, 2020 1:49 pm They are generated on the fly after the job is finished.
Hello nielsengelen,

Can't you give us the command used to generate these reports ?
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

There is no command for this, it is built-in the software and there is no PowerShell or other supported solution for this right now.
A.Rogers
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Alan Rogers

Post by A.Rogers »

+1 to this. How this feature has been missed in 5 major versions I can't understand. I have a slight workaround which might help. I send all daily reports to a shared mailbox with the global email setting. I then have mailbox rules to look for the job name in the subject and then forward to the desired customer. Make sure you enable the detailed report option as well or if the job has a warning it won't send a full update by emails.
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 615 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Post by jorgedlcruz » 2 people like this post

Hello,
I have been looking at the API, and I have built something (Community-based, not officially supported by Veeam) that might work for the specific scenario of having Daily HTML Reports, per Job, to different Email Addresses if you like.

The step by step can be found here - https://jorgedelacruz.uk/2021/08/03/vee ... y-project/

The workflow is something like this:

And the result, daily, will be something like this, per Job, with the last 24 hours jobs:

As this is a bash shell script, you can always edit it, and do just one Job to one specific Email address, etc. There is some stuff to improve, like better handling of the KB/MB/GB, etc. And better handling of the retries.

Hope it helps, let me know :)
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
A.Rogers
Enthusiast

Post by A.Rogers » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for sharing Jorge
jcabrera
Lurker
Full Name: Jake Cabrera

Post by jcabrera » 1 person likes this post

+1

We are a service provider and need to send notifications to clients. Per-job email notifications like is possible in B&R would be amazing
mtooth
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Zahn

[MERGED] [Feature Request] Per-Job SMTP notification setting

Post by mtooth »

Hello Everyone,

There are only global SMTP notifications settings in VBM365 v6.0.0.367
Would it be possible to implement per-job SMTP notification settings in VBM365, similar to those in VBR?

Regards,
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I merged your question to an existing thread around that topic. Above, there are some workarounds and we count your request +1 👍

Best regards,
Hannes
A.Rogers
Enthusiast

Post by A.Rogers »

Is there any ETA on this? We have been waiting years for really basic functionality.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Alan,

We have to postpone some enhancements in favor of higher priority features. Nevertheless, this FR is still on the list and won't be overlooked.
flavio.santos
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Flavio Santos

Post by flavio.santos »

Just to add to what Mike Reseller asked before:

I believe we could have notifications on 3 different levels: per job, per organization, and also per VBO (that we already have).

As the first problem that Dan Kennedy posted here, it can be solved by 1 simple configuration on the organization level, each customer will receive a notification for all their jobs.

Maybe one customer can have different recipients for different jobs, and with that, we can configure in job level. Like, in organization A, I want all my notifications sent to the e-mail "123@domain.com", but for the Exchange - Leaders job, I also want it sent to "456@domain.com".

I'm also a service provider, and from what I noticed here, the most common is the Organization level.

Thanks!