jaya@5gn.com.au
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jay Antoney

[Feature Request] Error: The virus scanner discovered an issue

Post by jaya@5gn.com.au »

I recently hit an issue where I got the following error

Code: Select all

31/08/2020 8:49:06 AM :: Failed to process OneDrive: {USERNAME} (https://{DOAMIN}-my.sharepoint.com/personal/{USER_DOMAIN}). The virus scanner discovered an issue while scanning the file. Please try opening the file directly from the browser, or contact your administrator. Additional information: 'JS/Swabfex.P' :: 0:05:04
It's not the most amazing error and given there are several hundred, if not thousands of files and folders in that users OneDrive, then it made it impossible to figure out what file was causing the issues. I logged a support ticket 04360898 and they helped me find the file in the logs, but it would be good if the actual file that errored was presented back to the interface.

Thanks in advanced for your consideration.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request - Error: The virus scanner discovered an issue

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

@jaya@5gn.com.au

This is indeed already in consideration. We are not yet certain how to show this (imagine you have hundreds of files that are infected) but it is on our future plans.

Brgds,
Mike
akguy
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Glen Kratochvil

Re: [Feature Request] Error: The virus scanner discovered an issue

Post by akguy »

I was wondering if this has been resolved or if there is a way to identify the name of the file that is preventing the backup from completing? Even a log file to look at would be very helpful. I want to get my backup working again without looking through half a million files to spot the infected one in OneDrive online.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

The message should be in the logs as the OP posted but feel free to contact support for assistance here.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Marco Sorrentino

Post by mamosorre84 »

Hi Niels,

can you tell me the path of the log file?

Thank you

Marco S.
pvz
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Per von Zweigbergk

Post by pvz »

We've been evaluating Veeam Backup for Office 365 in the past, and, in our opinion, the way Veeam handles the presence of viruses in Onedrive is far too heavy-handed. As far as we understood it in our evaluation, if one single file in the Onedrive is infected with a virus, that means the entire Onedrive for that user cannot be backed up.

This is a problem, because that potentially means if a virus is sitting on the Onedrive, and then somehow gets activated, it might trash the user's data, and what's making it even worse is that the backups have failed. Also, there's a risk for false positives.

The correct response from Veeam if it encounters a file it cannot back up, is to flag up a warning and then skip to the next file, not entirely fail the whole Onedrive backup as it seems to do right now. This behaviour is stopping us from considering Veeam for 365 for our own deployment, which is a shame because we really want to like the product.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Hi @pvz

That's not entirely true. If there's an infected item detected, VBO throws a warning into the session log and proceeds with processing other items in this OD account (or a SharePoint site). If you see it differently, please log a support case and let me know its ID.

Thanks!