Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
kmaurer
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kyle Maurer

Hybrid Question

Post by kmaurer »

Hey guys,

New to the forum here - I had a quick question that I couldn't find in any of the Veeam documentation. If we have a hybrid environment, and we select "back up an entire organization" in VBO365, will it attempt to back up exchange objects that have yet to be migrated to O365? Will it possibly cause issues if we attempt to run this? Currently trying to figure a way out how to have Veeam only back up users in 365 but not have to modify the job every time we onboard/offboard someone.

Thanks in advance.. sorry if this was a dumb question. Very new to Veeam still!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Hybrid Question

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Kyle,

When you are adding a hybrid organization, in fact, you are going to add two organizations (see here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=40). However, it will be seen as one organization. The question I have, are you only interested in protecting O365 users? Because in that case I would simply only add an O365 organization and not a hybrid one
kmaurer
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kyle Maurer

Post by kmaurer »

So, I did add only the O365 organization, however in the 'add objects' interface, it shows all users - on prem and 365 accounts available for backup.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Kyle,

What I assume is that those users are already migrated in this case (because you can see them) but that their actual content is still on-premises. Do you have directory synchronization already implemented? And was this done before you brought mailboxes into the O365 service?