Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
wilh
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: William Hilsum

Install failing because of lack of disk space?

Post by wilh »

Hi

I have a Veeam proxy server that has a 70Gb hard drive - nothing amazing, but, it's fine.

I decided to try Veeam Office 365 backup and ended up getting it ~February last year - the emails to backup was around 20Gb and it worked 100% fine.

We started using Sharepoint/OneDrive, so, I went to upgrade to version 2... During the install, it seems to take AGES (1 hour+), then fails.

Opening the log files, I see the following:

Code: Select all

11/09/2018 02:03:25    6 (5284) Warning: Unsupported configuration database version: 101, expected: 200
11/09/2018 02:03:26    6 (5284) Saving database configuration...
11/09/2018 02:03:26    6 (5284)   Backing up old database to: C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup365\BackupConfigDB_ddbdf833-6366-4a12-bbbe-2a98d3951db7...
11/09/2018 03:39:46    4 (5272) Error: There is not enough space on the disk.

11/09/2018 03:39:46    4 (5272) Type: System.IO.IOException
11/09/2018 03:39:46    4 (5272) Stack:
11/09/2018 03:39:46    4 (5272)    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)
   at Veeam.Archiver.Engine.DatabaseSaver.CopyDirectory(String sourceDirectory, String destDirectory)
   at Veeam.Archiver.Engine.DatabaseSaver.BackupDatabase(String& pathToCompletedBackup, String pathToConfigDB, String pathToConfigXml, String backupPrefix)
   at Veeam.Archiver.Controller.Database.Core.ArchiverContextProvider.SaveDatabase(String& pathToCompletedBackup, Guid& controllerId)
   at Veeam.Archiver.Controller.Database.Core.ArchiverContextProvider.CreateDatabaseContext(InstanceSpec spec, String fileName)
   at Veeam.Archiver.Controller.Database.Core.ArchiverDatabaseFactory..ctor(IDefaultContextFactory contextFactory, String databasePath, String databaseFolder)
   at Veeam.Archiver.Service.Providers.ArchiverDatabaseInstanceProvider.Initialize()
   at Veeam.Archiver.Service.ServerServiceInitializationContext.CreateDatabase(IDefaultContextFactory contextFactory)
   at Veeam.Archiver.Service.ServerServiceInitializationContext.Initialize()
   at Veeam.Core.Program.ServiceInitializer.InitializeInternal()
11/09/2018 03:39:46    4 (5272) Error: There is not enough space on the disk.

11/09/2018 03:39:46    4 (5272) Type: System.Exception
11/09/2018 03:39:46    4 (5272) Stack:
11/09/2018 03:39:46    4 (5272)    at Veeam.Core.Program.WindowsService.WaitForAction(ServiceInitializer initializer, WaitHandle end, Action action)
   at Veeam.Core.Program.WindowsService.OnStart(String[] args)
11/09/2018 03:39:46    1 (5252) Service stopped
I was wondering if anyone knows what it is doing and is there anything that can be done here short of upgrading the hard drive? I'm not sure what/why it's doing - there is about 20GB free on the machine prior to installation.

I tried running it again and I see the same - the hard drive gradually fills up.

Thanks
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Install failing because of lack of disk space?

Post by Polina »

Hi William,

As you can see from the logs, VBO saves a copy of its configuration database during the upgrade, however, it's hardly could consume that much disk space.
Do you have the default installation with both VBO server and proxy running on the same machine? Can I also ask what size your C:\ drive is? And could you please check the content and size of your C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup365\ directory as well?

Thanks!
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Post by ejenner »

I think it's trying to upgrade your database version. I don't know why it is doing that and not really sure of the specifics of your situation.

But just from reading the log you can see it is trying to make a backup of your database. So that is going to double the amount of space required on your disk for a copy of the database which is being taken prior to upgrade.

Is there enough space on your disk for two copies of your database?

If you upgrade your database manually you may be able to manage this process and workaround the problem that way.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

EJ,

I'm afraid you're missing the point that it's a configuration database which is backed up, and normally it's just about 100 MB.
wilh
Service Provider

Post by wilh »

Sorry for the slow response.

The server has a 80GB hard drive. There is a total of 20.7GB free.

The c:\programdata\Veeam\Backup365 folder is currently 39.3GB (sorry, larger than I first thought!) - Nearly all of which is being used by the ConfigDB folder.

Thanks,

William
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

William,

Are you upgrading from version 1.0? If so, this could be a known issue, which can easily be resolved with the help of our support team.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Post by ejenner »

Polina wrote:EJ,

I'm afraid you're missing the point that it's a configuration database which is backed up, and normally it's just about 100 MB.
Just on the basis that the error comes after the action of backing up the old database. Also, observe the amount of time that passes between one event and the next. You also have: "Nearly all of which is being used by the ConfigDB folder"

I deliberately couched my initial response so as to be clear that I hadn't made any substantial attempt to fully understand what he was saying and that I was only commenting on the obvious problem shown in the log.

As it happens, now there is more info, I think it looks like that is the problem. :wink:
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Fair enough, EJ :)
wilh
Service Provider

Post by wilh »

Polina wrote:William,

Are you upgrading from version 1.0? If so, this could be a known issue, which can easily be resolved with the help of our support team.
Hi Polina,

Thanks for this - is there anything I can do myself?

I had a NFR 10 for 1.0 (I'm a MVP and recommended Veeam a lot!), and I didn't realised it expired back in Feb... I just installed version 2 community edition which I see is now free for 10 (I only had a couple of personal boxes on this one machine...)

I never requested a NFR for version 2, however, I don't believe I'm eligible for support on community or NFR.

Thanks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

William,

You can get support, it is just without SLA :-). So feel free to create a support call
wilh
Service Provider

Post by wilh »

Certainly can't complain then! I'll try now!

Thanks!