Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
grigatkis
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

[Feature Request] Integrate Repositories

Post by grigatkis »

Hi,

I'd like to request the feature that Veeam Backup&Replication and Backup for O365 be able to see each other and use the same repositories.

I'd like to be able to backup the O365 repo to tape without the data-eating workaround of first adding the repo file to a B&R job. It rewrites the entire friggin file every single incremental!

Best regards,
Rickmer
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: [Feature Request] Integrate Repositories

Post by Mildur »

It rewrites the entire friggin file every single incremental!
Are you doing file to tape backups?

My change rate of a vbo365 vm with image level backup is only around 10GB per day for a 3-4TB vbo365 repo.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
grigatkis
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by grigatkis »

The current setup is this:

Backup&Replication as well as Backup for O365 are setup on the same server, a physical system with a bunch of storage locally available. Most of this space is setup as ReFS for use as repository.

I've put the backup repositories for both B&R as well as O365 on there in different subfolders.

Since neither program recognizes the repository of the other, I can't do a repository-to-tape job in B&R. Neither does B&R see the backup job in O365 as somewhere to grab data from. That's the only two options for adding data to a tape job that I can see.

Thus my workaround was to make a file level backup job of the local server and add the O365 repositoy to it. Unfortunately, while the daily data added to the repo by the O365 job is only about 1-6GB daily, the backup job in B&R just sees the currently 740GB repository.adb file has been changed and grabs the entire thing, even on an incremental job.

If there's a way to make the O365 repository save backups as anything smaller than giant-sized yearly chunks I haven't managed to find it.

If you have any suggestions for how to better handle getting the O365 backup onto tape, I'd be happy to implement it.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

For tapeout, you have to do an "image level backup" of your vbo365 server or "agent based backup" with Veeam. VBO365 data is saved in databases. This "database files" aren't designed "for simply copy it away".
This way, you will receive vbk/vib files todo a "Backup to Tape"-Job.

It is not a good design for this product to run the vbo365 server on the same system as your vbr server and use the same repo disks, if you want to do a proper tapeout. If your vbo365 server is installed on the same vbr server, I'd prefer to create a seperate disk for vbo365 repo data. You can backup this disk with agent or vmimage level backup (exclude your vbr Repo Disk) and copy the vbk/vib it to tape.

See this link in the vbo365 best practice:
https://bp.veeam.com/vbo/guide/design/3-2-1.html
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software