dotdk
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Lund

Item may have a virus reported ..

Post by dotdk »

Hi all

We are seeing a number of our customers where we are getting errors like these:

* Processing OneDrive username (https://orgname-my.sharepoint.com/personal/username_com) finished with warning: Failed to backup item: /personal/username_com/Documents/Documents/xxx/xxxx1/199483d564c61b347c.js.download, Item may have a virus reported by the virus scanner plug-in :: 0:01:36
* Processing OneDrive useename (https://orgname-my.sharepoint.com/personal/username_com) finished with warning: Failed to backup item: /personal/username_com/Documents/xxx/xxx1/ANNO 2001.dbx, Item may have a virus reported by the virus scanner plug-in :: 0:00:58

First question is, what virus scanning plugin is being used to scan for virusses?
How do we exclude something from the scan if we confirm that it is a false positive hit?

We are on version 4.0.1.545 with this particular customer.

Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 358 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Item may have a virus reported ..

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Hi Thomas,

Virus check is performed on O365 side by SharePoint antivirus. If an item is put on quarantine in SharePoint, VBO cannot access it. To avoid warnings, you can either exclude an entire OneDrive folder or delete the infected item from the source manually.

Thanks!

dotdk
Service Provider
Full Name: Thomas Lund

Post by dotdk »

Hi Polina,

Thanks for cleating that up for me.

However excluding an entire OneDrive folder would often result in perhaps hundreds of files not being backed up due to a single files being reported virus infected. A feature to either exclude a single file would be very usefull or a way to ignore the warning.

Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 911 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi dotk,

... a way to ignore the warning.

We have some thoughts around it, but are wondering how you see it? I do believe making sure the backups are green (because they should be) is valid, but I also want to make sure that people see that something is going on. So any thoughts from your side how you would like that to be handled?

dkristek
Lurker
Full Name: Daniel Kristek

Post by dkristek »

Mike,

I think that for usability it would make more sense to be able to exclude the individual items. Could this be suggested in a feature request in the future?

Thank you,
Daniel Kristek