skate88
Influencer
Liked: never

licensing question

Post by skate88 »

we are currently in our year test license, and looking now to purchase
licensing is per user
i have to buy through a reseller, wait for quote etc
my question is what happens if i add 1 user over my license count, does the backup fail ?
does it just not backup 1 extra mailbox ? or does it allow the extra mailbox to be backed up.

i am sure like most companies mailbox count is in a constant stat of flux , are you expecting us to have to get a quote from reseller
for every mailbox added.

apologies if this is the wrong place for this question but the veeam rep i spoke to wasnt really able to answer the question

neil
pmansfield
Enthusiast

Re: licensing question

Post by pmansfield »

Spooky - I was literally typing the same questions to my reseller, but thought I'd check in here first.

Is it possible to see which mailboxes are actually consuming licenses? For instance last night I backed up 365 mailboxes, but the software says I'm using 266 licenses. Now I suspect the difference is down to shared mailboxes and meeting rooms, but as there's no easy way to exclude a number of mailboxes, I'm not entirely sure how accurate that number is.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Skate88,

The licensing (assuming you are using subscription for now) information can be found here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=15
You will see that there is a License Exceed grace period of 2 months. That should cover the needs.

We are evolving also to newer, more flexible ways of working with licenses and that will become more and more visible in the next versions.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Pmansfield,

365 versus 266: In fact, we follow the same schema as Microsoft. You pay for actual users and shared mailboxes and meeting rooms are included in the price. So most likely you have indeed 266 actual users.
I can't test at this moment, but using get-vboorganizationmailbox commandlet might give you what is protected and more information. But as said, I am not sure as I can't test
pmansfield
Enthusiast

Post by pmansfield »

Thanks Mike. I'll have a look and see what I can find.
pmansfield
Enthusiast

Post by pmansfield »

I tested last night and excluded a bunch of mailboxes, some of which were actual licensed user accounts, and I got the total number of mailboxes down to 295, but the license count displayed in the GUI still shows 266.

What's odd is that if look at my O365 licensing, I have 22x Exchange Online subs, and 238x Business Premium subs. That comes to 260, so VBO is counting an extra 6 licenses somewhere. Looks like I'll need to dig into PowerShell to see what's going on.
skate88
Influencer

Post by skate88 »

hello Mike

thanks for the answer that was exactly what i was looking for, i have passed on the info to my veeam contact in Austria.

neil
tom.adams
Service Provider
Full Name: Thomas Adams

Post by tom.adams »

Hi Mike,

Sorry to just jump this thread but i have a similar query regarding the licensing model.

We have a fresh install of the Veeam Backup for Office 365 and connected 1 organization to the console. This organization has 1 user mailbox.
When we run the backup job with "Backup all mailboxes" selected, it shows as processing 2 mailboxes. The actual user mailbox, and a "Discovery Search Mailbox". Nothing out of the ordinary here.

The thing is, the license information windows in the console shows 1 user consumed, as expected.
However whenever we query either the REST api or the powershell, it shows both of the mailboxes and both have the "IsBackedup" property set to true.

So my question is, is it possible via the api/powershell to obtain a list of the licensed users per organization? Or to put it another way, how can we differentiate between licensed and non-licensed user?

Tom
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Currently, there is not information about licensed objects in VBO automation services, such as PowerShell and RESTfull APIs. However, we consider it as potential enhancement for one of the next product versions. Thanks.
n0creativity
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Dave Anderson

Post by n0creativity »

Please do this!

I just came here looking for the same details.
We just switched to our paid license and the current license tracking, as displayed in the GUI, is effectively 'delayed' by 60 days. This makes it difficult for those of us who don't need to backup all user mailboxes and are trying to make sure we stay within our licensing.

Right now I basically have to track license usage in a spreadsheet, which obviously cumbersome.

Here are a few ideas to help resolve this issue:
1.) Display in the GUI, next to the current 'delayed' license usage count, a count of licensed mailboxes backed up in the last successfull backup. Also include how many days are left in the grace period
2.) Include the number of licensed mailboxes backed up in the job notification email.
3.) Provide a powershell (and REST API) for retrieving the following:
  • ▪Number of licensed mailboxes backed up in the last successfull job
    ▪Number of licenses used by current backup selection
    ▪Effective license usage in X days (assuming no changes are made to backup selection). This would allow us to verify that we will be in compliance with our licensing by a given date.
    ▪Remaining days in grace period (assuming an over usage of licenses)
Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi David,

We are certainly working on some updated stats. I can't promise everything for the next version but I will put your requests on the table

Cheers
Mike