Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
goldstar4
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: gregory filter

Mailbox Converted to Shared Mailbox doesn't show in Add Objects to a Backup Job

Post by goldstar4 »

Recently i converted a user Exchange mailbox to a shared mailbox. I would like to backup this mailbox in Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365. When I edit a backup job under my organization, then add object from menu, I see some shared mailboxes, but I do not see the converted shared mailbox I want to backup.
Any ideas?
Goldie
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Mailbox Converted to Shared Mailbox doesn't show in Add Objects to a Backup Job

Post by nielsengelen »

It sometimes takes some time to reflect this update but you should be able to see it. Are you still unable to see it listed?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
SCOIT
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Re: Mailbox Converted to Shared Mailbox doesn't show in Add Objects to a Backup Job

Post by SCOIT »

What's interesting in my case is that when I go in to add a shared mailbox in Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 I no longer see the type "Shared Mailbox". I used to see this type prior to upgrading to version 5.0.2.42, but now the only type I see is "User", even though I have hundreds of shared mailboxes in 365.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Are you using the modern app-only auth for backing up your organization?
SCOIT
Novice

Post by SCOIT »

Yes.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

It explains. With this auth method, Graph APIs don't allow to identify 'shared' mailboxes and return all users with the 'user' type.
Please check out this KB for more details: https://www.veeam.com/kb3146
SCOIT
Novice

Post by SCOIT »

Ahh thanks for the info Polina, that explains it.

Other than adding all shared mailboxes to a group, is there any other way to differentiate the shared mailboxes from the user mailboxes when setting up a backup job in Veeam for O365?
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Not that I can think of...