Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Ruzaila
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rose HERDEN

Organization Adding - Security Question

Post by Ruzaila »

Question Summary: Does Veeam have any way to identify how many times Office 365 has been added or configured? Apart from relying on Microsoft's security (default security setup does not pick up on it)

Scenario:
I've installed and configured my DEMO environment at work with my Admin account. All is well but I want to add proxies and I decided to play the role of a rogue administrator.
I installed Veeam Backup for O365 on my home computer. Configured everything with my other admin account (User1), even ran a successful backup. Now when you install this, it adds the service "Veeam Backup Proxy for Microsoft Office 365 Service" which is the role required for the proxy so I assumed that I would see my home PC in the proxy list. Negative. Neither was I able to see my work PC or any other devices configured as proxies OR repositories.

So basically, anyone with admin credentials can backup emails and explore. They don't reflect on the logs because obviously work won't have access to my home desktop where the logs are being read. This doesn't even reflect in the Sessions tab.
Rose Herden
General Manager | Technical Trainer
Saxons Learning Solutions
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Organization Adding - Security Question

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Rose,

Correct. If you install Veeam Backup for O365 on any computer and have the necessary credentials, you can start backing up data.
The reason why you see the role proxy on the home computer is because each VBO server (the initial server where you install VBO365 on) automatically comes with a proxy role also. This allows you to do a "all-in-one" type of setup
Ruzaila
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rose HERDEN

Post by Ruzaila »

Thank you Mike!

Anything in the future that will help identify where this has been setup? Managed servers tab or something similar?
Rose Herden
General Manager | Technical Trainer
Saxons Learning Solutions
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

We have a "Backup infrastructure" tab where you can see proxies and repositories, however it will only list those added via that specific console.

I guess you are asking for us to scan the network and "guess" if the specific server/workstation is running the VBO proxy on that port?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen