Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
theviking84
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: David Dunworthy

Question on object storage migration

Post by theviking84 »

So if I follow KB3067 and use the automatic script, to move my data to Wasabi bucket... Will my job still try to do a full backup on the next run? Or will it continue incremental?

I'm considering just making a new object storage repo and not doing any migration on the fear it won't do incremental. Last time I was told with local repos you can move and it would do incremental, but I did this and it still did a full on the next run! So I want to be sure on this.

Second question, I looked at the documentation on adding an S3 compatible bucket and yet there is no mention about requirements, like does the bucket need "versioning" off or on? Anything else to know when making the bucket?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Question on object storage migration

Post by nielsengelen »

It doesn't do a full backup but more of a verification 'full' run assuring everything is correct (and if needed resolve). Furthermore, from there it will be incremental backups.

Wasabi is fully supported as is with their defaults and shouldn't provide any issues when you add it.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
theviking84
Expert

Post by theviking84 »

Thank you. Would you suggest I run the automatic script on the KB3067 page? Or should I just talk to support with a ticket as far as "getting my data from local repo into the new bucket"?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

The script should work fine but if you want assistance you can always contact support.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
theviking84
Expert

Post by theviking84 »

The script does not work, it was written for version 4.0 it looks like and we are on 5.0 and patches after that.

Specifically in the script if you actually look at it, the $targetrepo is found via command "Get-VBORepository". This makes no sense as this will only return local repositories. (so when you execute the script you will find output saying just that, can't move from source to source)

There is a different command that is "Get-VBOObjectStorageRepository" which would return your object storage repo and therefore allows you to select your object repo as the target repo. It seems the script should have that changed out.

Yet, even when I do that, I get an error that essentially says it can not convert object storage repo into type vborepo. I would post the output if it is allowed.

I have opened ticket 04757672 regarding this, and will send them the details too. I'd like this to be fleshed out where we have a working way in the latest version to migrate the data.
theviking84
Expert

Post by theviking84 »

I thought about it some more, and maybe I missed something. I only added the new object storage repo, but I didn't make a second new "regular" repo and then "extend" that one to object storage. Maybe for the script to work I need to do that and then that way the original script and target repo still is treated as a regular repo.
theviking84
Expert

Post by theviking84 »

Ok yeah that worked.. Just had to add the new regular repo and extend it, and then do the migration. I was just thrown off thinking I had already added the new repo, but didn't realize I needed to make yet another regular repo to go with it. I'm going to close that ticket, thanks.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi David,

Glad that you've already figured it out. When using object storage in VBO, there're 2 steps to configure it: 1) add a cloud part and 2) create a backup repository with a local cache folder and extended it to this cloud storage. It may seem a bit complicated when using PowerShell, but from the UI both steps can be configured from the same Backup Repository wizard and it makes more sense.