Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Simon_LBC
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Simon C.

Send Veeam O365 Backup to a Veeam Backup & Replication repo???

Post by Simon_LBC »

I am currently testing the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 product in our business environment and so far I am not much impressed. This Veeam product doesn't seem to be business oriented that much in opposite to other product we own and use, such as Veeam Backup & Replication Suite for Hyper-V.

I have installed my Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 trial on the same server as my Veeam Backup & Replication Suite for Hyper-V and now I am trying to connect my O365 backup on the same network repository as my server's backup jobs and apparently this is not native supported. Apparently Veeam Backup for O365 is looking for local repository that is directly attached to the machine where's it's running. What a shame! In a business environment we are not dealing with direct attach storage and my main repo is located on another server and it's handled by network.

Is there any "tweak" I can do to connect my Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 to my Veeam Backup & Replication Suite for Hyper-V main repository? I obviously don't want to manage two separate repositories.

Thank you :-)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Send Veeam O365 Backup to a Veeam Backup & Replication repo???

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Simon,

Both repositories are different. Since Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 is not image-level backup but application level backup the repository is a Jet DB database that holds all the data and the metadata. That is the reason why VBR repositories cannot be used.

That said, you can use an SMB 3 file share to store your data. That can be the same storage location as your VBR files, only a different folder.

Hope it helps
Mike
Simon_LBC
Enthusiast

Post by Simon_LBC »

Hi Mike,

Nice to know, but sorry I can't see how I can add a SMB3 share as a repository in Veeam Backup for O365 as the only given options is my local drives and if I manually enter a UNC path, I got an error message... please tell me more about that?

Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

You need to add the computer account of that server to the share with READ/ WRITE rights. Then it won't be an issue
Simon_LBC
Enthusiast

Post by Simon_LBC »

This is what I've done, the current logged user from this computer (the computer running Veeam Backup for O365) is having full RWD access to the shared folder. If I take this exact same share from Windows Explorer, then copy/delete any file on it, it work flawlessly.
tsmith_co
VeeaMVP
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Tim Smith

Post by tsmith_co »

Simon, not the user account, but the computer accountds the access to the share.
Tim Smith
https://tsmith.co
@tsmith_co
reni3008
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Renato Richina

Post by reni3008 »

Is it possible to add a computer account on a Synology NAS? If not, how else I can then use a SMB3 share on a Synology NAS as a repository in VBO?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Renato,

I am not aware of how the sharing on a Synology works but can't you select a computer account \\computername$ as a possibility in the UI (it might be that you need to change the view from users to computers like you would need to do with active directory)
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Renato,

In addition to Mike's response, please take a look at a couple of similar discussions which also might be helpful for you: backup to a Synology NAS and backup to Synology/QNAP.
Martin01581
Lurker
Full Name: Martin Sundberg

Post by Martin01581 »

reni3008 wrote: Feb 28, 2019 6:53 pm Is it possible to add a computer account on a Synology NAS? If not, how else I can then use a SMB3 share on a Synology NAS as a repository in VBO?
I'm also interesting in this answer. I have the same problem.
I'm able to connect to the share through Windows Explorer as local user account but I can't add the repository. Getting the same error message as mentioned in the 1st post.
Does anyone know?
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Hi Martin,

Please ensure the following is configured on the SMB share:
Share Properties -> Sharing -> Advanced sharing -> Permissions -> Add -> Object types -> Computers -> you VBO server name -> allow Change and Read permissions
Share Properties -> Security -> grant modify, read and write permissions to your VBO server

And when adding this repository to VBO, as said above, type the UNC manually, as browsing will not work in this case.

Hope this helps
f2dfc3

Post by f2dfc3 »

I also am trying to point VBO to our synology NAS, though after pages and pages of reading and trying still unsuccessful.... no matter what i try with the UNC path, i always get the error of "the user name or password is incorrect"

i have also tried https://www.driftar.ch/index.php/2016/1 ... -unc-path/ which didnt work.

I am almost out of options unless someone has very detailed steps to try and has actually gotten it to work.

unbelievable that its this hard to point it to a network drive.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Welcome to the Community, Jackson!

As VBO doesn't support specifying credentials for UNC paths, the only way to make it work is to grant the VBO server full read/write access to the share. Unfortunately, we don't have Synology in the lab to try and document the required steps for you; but here're some recommendations shared on forums.
Mattias_Svahn
Lurker
Full Name: Mattias Svahn

Post by Mattias_Svahn »

Hi, make an share with full access to any, and do an ipfilter to just the server running the veeam office 365 apptication to that share, works with Synology and Freenas in my lab.
Comissha
Lurker
Full Name: Shawn Comis

Post by Comissha »

We use Synology NAS untis for our primary, offsite and Archive with Veeam. Use the Synology iSCSI as shown https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... nology_NAS: That will allow you to select the new "local" resource on the repo server. Has worked like a charm for over two years, in our Data Center.