Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
theviking84
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: David Dunworthy

sharing managed server with b&r

Post by theviking84 »

I have a physical linux server which Veeam B&R is using as a managed server and an immutable repository.

This server has lots of storage space.

Would I be able to spin up a vm for vbo365 and still connect to this linux server and use disk space on it as a repo? This would not interfere with it being a managed server in veeam b&r or immutable etc? I understand the vbo data would be in a diff folder and not immutable, just want to use the vast disk space.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2271 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: sharing managed server with b&r

Post by Mildur »

Veeam Backup for Office 365 has the following supported Backup Repos:
- local Disks (direct attached or iscsi or SAN)
- object Storage
- cifs (experimental support only)

Of course, you have many possibilities to connect your linux server to your vbo365 server.

One example:
Install iscsi server software on your linux machine and export a LUN to the VBO365 Server.

Another:
Run a windows VM with vbo365 directly on your linux server with linux virtualisation software.

CIFS Repo will not work. Requirements will be, that vbo365 and cifs share must be in the same domain.

Think about your immutable backup repo concept. The more software and other workload you have on the linux server, which is not neccesary to run vbr hardened repo, the more unsafer your repo is. To much possibility for hackers to overcome the immutable flag.

I do not recommend using your hardened linux server with another purpose than that.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

I agree with Mildur. But I do understand that you want to use that storage also, so look at his examples he gave. I believe the iscsi server software would be the best if you can live with the bigger attack potential
theviking84
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: David Dunworthy

Post by theviking84 »

Thanks guys!

I think I am going to try to keep the linux server hardened and just use a vm by itself for vbo365 and just use datastore space in vmware as the disk for it. That way Veeam B&R can actually back up that vm and it will be therefore included in my SOBR policy for capacity tier and retention anyway. Shame to waste the space on the linux physical server but protection and security surface outweighs it.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Sounds like a good plan to me!