Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
ThomasD
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas D.

Synchronization state data corrupt in archive mailboxes?

Post by ThomasD »

Hey there,

I wonder if there are any limitations in "Veeam Backup for Office 365" regarding archive mailboxes.
We have several customers where some of the mailboxes throw an error "Failed to synchronize item changes in folder..." when processing a mailbox with an archive.
The error also tells us: "The synchronization state data is corrupt or otherwise invalid".

Is this something I should open a support case for or did we do something wrong in the backup configuration somehow?
EDIT: I decided to open a support ticket for this:
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 — Production Support — ID: #02153544

Thanks for any advice!

Thomas
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Synchronization state data corrupt in archive mailboxes?

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Thomas,

I see you have opened the case with a similar issue, 04263124 and it is already solved. Starting the job with powershell helped:
1. Run the next command to get list of all Jobs and copy your Job name from there:
Get-VBOJob
2. Once copied use the name and assign $Job variable:
$Job = Get-VBOJob -Name "Job_name"
3. Run the next command to see if the variable is valid and returns Job data
$Job
4. If everything is fine start the next command (this way it will output some information in any case):
Start-VBOJob -Job $Job -RunAsync -Full
Have you already tried to do the same?

Thanks!
ThomasD
Lurker
Full Name: Thomas D.

Post by ThomasD »

Hi Natalia,

Thanks for the reply. I just did what you told me. As soon as the backup job is finished, I will let you know the result.

Thanks again!
Gerald
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Gerald

Post by Gerald »

This has worked for me, I also had the "Failed to synchronize item changes in folder" "Synchronization state is corrupt or otherwise invalid" problem. Would have been nice if Veeam Backuo for Office 365 could auto-recover from such a problem?

The powershell commands posted here worked fine and now the backup is working again. One minor addition, you will probably have to use command "Get-VBOJob | Format-Table -AutoSize" otherwise you won't be able to see the full name of the backup job (it's truncated).
Sharath@123
Novice
Full Name: SSS

Post by Sharath@123 »

Hi All,

Let me know what is the function of this command "Start-VBOJob -Job $Job -RunAsync -Full"
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hello,

Start-VBOJob starts the backup job with the specified parameters:

-Job $Job (the job we've specified on the previous step)
-RunAsync (Indicates that the command returns immediately without waiting for the task to complete.)
-Full (Indicates that the job will create an active full backup.)

Please refer to this guide if you need the detailed description.

Thanks!
HangTen
Veeam Legend
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Hin Tang

Post by HangTen »

How does the -Full affect storage. I am asking because I am seeing this issue but with only one archive mailbox in a large organization and if a full backup would double the storage needs on that repository, I would need to look at another solution. Is there a way to force the synchronization without needing another Full backup? I'm also concerned about restore points if a Full backup is needed.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Hin,

VBO backups are not the same as in VBR, for example. There're no separate backup files created, but all the data is saved to a database.

After the first successful run, VBO saves the change states for backed up objects and on the next run these states are used to quickly identify unchanged vs changed/new items.

When you force the 'Full', VBO 'forgets' previously saved states and runs through all the items in the backed up objects (i.e. folders and mails in a mailbox) to compare the repository state with production, downloads the missing/changed items, and updates the change states. This will increase the time of backup as compared to an increment. Storage will be consumed according to the amount of changed/new data.

Makes sense?
Sharath@123
Novice
Full Name: SSS

Post by Sharath@123 »

Hi All,

Please share me the PowerShell command or script to get backup copy job details.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

(Get-VBOJobSession -JobType Copy -Last).statistics
kostas73
Lurker
Full Name: Kostas

Post by kostas73 »

I know that is an old post, but do we have any other solution?

I have a client with the same problem. It appears every some months, for 1 or 2 mailboxes. And always on archive folders. I cannot force vbo to take full back up 2-3 times a year anymore. Client loose valuable hard disk space on server (over 1 TB each time), and of course time till full backup completed.

Is there any way to force vbo start full backup for specific mailbox? Clear cache for specific mailbox? Somehow?

My client use VBO 5.0.3.1063 on Windows Server 2008 R2, so cannot upgrade to v6 or v7
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Kostas
I cannot force vbo to take full back up 2-3 times a year anymore. Client loose valuable hard disk space on server (over 1 TB each time), and of course time till full backup completed.
It's a full resync. Not a full download. A resync will check if all source items are protected in your backup repository.
But only changed or new data will be downloaded from M365.
Is there any way to force vbo start full backup for specific mailbox? Clear cache for specific mailbox? Somehow?
Create a new repository and point a new job with only this specific mailbox to that repository. It will be a full download.
My client use VBO 5.0.3.1063 on Windows Server 2008 R2, so cannot upgrade to v6 or v7
The issue may have been resolved in later versions. Your client should consider updating his platform to a newer versions. Especially since Windows Server 2008 R2 has reached Extended Support End Date 3.5 years ago (Jan 2020).
We also cannot guarantee that VB365 v5 still works 100% with Microsoft 365. Microsoft 365 is evolving fast and all clients (VB365 is one) should be kept updated.
Example: One day Microsoft may make a change in an API and we have to update VB365 to use the new API version. Without a new VB365 version you won't be able to continue the backups.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software