Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
wessel@RUC
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Claus Wessel

Teams Backup (Backup for Office365)

Post by wessel@RUC »

Hello Guys and Experts :-)
Microsoft Teams have become incredibly popular when we were sent home from work and schools and needed to find other ways for education and socializing.
We at the University embraced Teams and found it ideal for education and planning to use it also for examinations.

In this regard, we need to make sure, we take proper backup of all Teams infrastructure, which have become quite extensive with 8000 students at our university.

We already use VBR .. and like to know other's experiences with installing Backup for Office on top of this, or if I should make a new and separate Veeams backup Server just for Backup for Office365? ..and any culprits to be aware of?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Teams Backup (Backup for Office365)

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi @wessel@RUC

First, ideally you would install Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 (VBO) separately on a different server. VBO is different from VBR and while you can install them together, you would need to calculate the additional resources and so on.

Concerning teams, we are working on a special component that will allow better protection of Teams. In the current GA version, you will protect data such as files, but the configuration of a team is not protected. Now that MSFT has official API's for it, we will be able to use those.
wessel@RUC
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Claus Wessel

Post by wessel@RUC »

Thank you very much for fast reply ! So I should install and prepare a separate server for VBO.. When working on a special component, what is the timeline for this? from what I understand I won't be able to backup and protect our Teams environment as is with VBO?
- Also, I am noticing .. we have 250 licenses for VBO .. how far will that take me considering we have more than 8000 users, and wanting to protect the thousands of Teams groups etc. we already have ?
In regards of using Teams for examinations, which is soon coming, I need to be absolutely sure that i can manage Backup of all our Teams infrastructure.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hey,

With 250 licenses, you can protect 250 users (mailbox, archive, onedrive, personal website). The licensing further works the same as with MSFT. You pay per user. There are a few limitations that can be found on our product page. (But again, they are derived from how MSFT does licensing, it makes the most sense to us that it is the same)

For timeline, at Veeam we release whenever it is ready :-). I can't give a date but we are working on it, and if you follow Veeam you will hear us talking about it sooner than later.