Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
evander
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

VBO Extremely Slow Search

Post by evander »

Hi. I am trying to do a search for a file in a SharePoint site in the Veeam explorer for SharePoint and its taking extremely long to search through the database.

Its going on 3 hours now and its only about 53% complete searching for this one file. Granted the site has fair amount of files (134GB size - 379,029 files - 28,523 folders) but surely it should be faster than that right?

Running the latest version of VBO 5.0.1.179

Any thoughts?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: VBO Extremely Slow Search

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as you didn't mention what kind of hardware you are using, I would say that your hardware (storage and / or backup server) is undersized.

What does support say about your issue (case number)?

Thanks,
Hannes
evander
Enthusiast

Post by evander »

Hi Hannes - thanks for the reply.
The Backup server is a pretty beefy: Dell R740xd2
I have both the VBO and a separate Proxy/Repo box running as virtual machines on this box (VMware 7.01) with:
VBO: 8vCPU and 16GB RAM
Proxy/Repo: 8vCPU and 32GB RAM

I can throw more resources at these boxes if necessary but not sure it will help.
Btw: Which box is doing most of the crunch work during a search?

Currently they are both running on an enterprise local NL-SAS datastore (no NAS/SAN etc). I can try and move them to a local SSD datastore on the same host to see if that helps but there is very little else running on this host currently as its mainly a dedicated Veeam backup server (It also runs VBR jobs and repos (separate VMs) but no jobs were currently running while I was running this search) so although I would expect it to be slower than the SSD it shouldn't be slower by like 6 hours to find a file, right?

I haven't logged a support case yet as I was just initially trying to understand what was expected from your search and if that was normal or not. I can log a ticket though if need be.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey @evander

No, this doesn't look normal. I honestly think something else is wrong. But a support call seems to be the way to go forward now because we need to know what type of repository you are using, what type of backup and so on.

Please post the case ID here.

By the way, I presume that the VBO server itself will be a bit low on memory for this amount of data
evander
Enthusiast

Post by evander »

Hi Mike,
I am busy doing a storage vmotion now to put the two boxes on the SSD datastore and will test again so I can give your support folks some more info when I log the call. Ultimately these boxes will sit on the NL-SAS but testing the difference in performance will be useful to me anyway.

I will also throw some more memory at the VBO box and test that too.

Thanks for the info and suggestions. Will post the support ID when done.