Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
cerberus
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mirza

VBO licensing question when backing up Teams?

Post by cerberus »

Hi,

As per the VBO licensing page:

Each user in your Office 365 subscription that has been granted access to Microsoft Teams objects that you plan to back up must be licensed.

If I create a Team in Microsoft Teams, and I assign 10 users to this team. This means I need +10 VBO licenses to backup this one Team?

If not all users that are part of the Team have VBO licenses, what happens? Does the Team not get backed up, or the files the unlicensed users add to the Team not get backed up?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: VBO licensing question when backing up Teams?

Post by Mike Resseler »

@cerberus

What will happen... The team will get backed up. Basically, if you want to protect a team, we expect that the users in that team are protected also (their mailbox/ onedrive...). If you would not do that, then you are in violation with our EULA, but yeah, the team will get backed up
cerberus
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mirza

Re: VBO licensing question when backing up Teams?

Post by cerberus »

That makes sense why I was seeing "Your license limit has been exceeded by 8 users. Users exceeding the license count will not be processed" warning on VBO, yet when I went into the Teams explorer I was able to backup/restore files in the Team.

Our VAR is already in process of getting us additional licenses - no issues there, I needed details on how the licensing works as we'll be create additional Teams in the future as we onboard from Skype on-prem to Teams.

Thanks Mike!