Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
JRRW
Enthusiast
Liked: 45 times
Full Name: Ryan Walker

VBO Sizing - incompetence

Post by JRRW »

After reaching the end of the road on a ticket that has been escalated to the highest I can reach (without it being a 'bug') - I'm at my wits end. (Case 03903007) - going on 2 months.

I'm hoping Anton Gostev actually reads this (I somewhat Ironically just got a 'like' on Linkedin from him regarding his excellent post) as this is the sort of issues I expect from Dell, not from Veeam.)

TL;DR:
Worked with an SE to size our VBO (it's large: our onedrive/SP alone is north of 30tb, exchange 20tb+) and had high hopes, until when we went to deploy it, the performance has been nothing short of atrocious.

At this point, support has validated it's not CPU, Memory, or Network - it's disk.
Storage is Storage Spaces with ReFS Tiering: ~400gb SAS-SSD Mirror, 12x8tb Parity
The problem is this:
My disk performance (perfmon) doesn't show issues, and my SSD tier isn't being filled, nor the cache, nor high read or write latency.

I validated it's not O365 by throwing the same workloads on a 36x10k disk raid-6 (3PAR SAN) and it works at 80Mbps without issue on both incremental and fulls.

At one point Support ACTUALLY told me to just buy what I have proven works.

So, basically they told me to spend $80k+ on a 10k SAN level storage for VBO. Despite the fact last fall when we ran the sizing excersise, we purchased a $14k server that was supposed to handle it for at least a year (capacity was the only limit, and at that point it was just dropping on additional shelves of NLSAS)

The BIG issue I have with this, is not ONCE did anyone at Veeam - our AM, SE, or Support - indicate such a crazy demand on performance that large datasets have.

Furthermore, all I've been told is "There are definitely large customers using VBO365 with a number of different configurations but the information on their specific setups isn't available to us."

Thanks. So, not only did we - before going to our CIO and in turn CFO - ask for the wrong amount of money for this solution, but Veeam is basically saying they don't know what to tell us we need for a moderate RPO (I would be happy with 24-hours)

We have other vendors pounding on our doors to get in the door for our BDR business - we're a $1b company owned by a $50b+ parent company - but Veeam can't even provide reasonable guidance on hardware for VBO at a higher scale?

To make matters even better, we now have to also find storage that doesn't use our existing design, thus wasting 12x8tb worth of drives.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: VBO Sizing - incompetence

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi, Ryan. Let me review this situation internally with the PM for this product, as well as support and sales teams. We will get this right. I did hear we had VBO365 deployment best practices guide published most recently by a couple of our top architects. Thanks!
JRRW
Enthusiast
Liked: 45 times
Full Name: Ryan Walker

Post by JRRW »

Hi, Ryan. Let me review this situation internally with the PM for this product, as well as support and sales teams. We will get this right. I did hear we had VBO365 deployment best practices guide published most recently by a couple of our top architects. Thanks!
Thank you very much.

There are great topics and information on VBR sizing (I particularly like the diskspd examples for replicating workloads) to help someone identify what really is needed. Furthermore, I had a great conversation on scaling VBR (which we're also facing an issue with) and the great strides Veeam has made on Scale Out, Object storage, and Archive Tier - and while Object is now available for VBO, it seems like there has been very little R&D published on VBO.

I know it uses Jet as the backend, but basing sizing on Exchange is a bad idea, as a VBO workload should NOT be the same as a production Exchange workload any more than backing up Exchange should be.

When we come up with a solution I'll be sure to post it here for others; though hopefully others don't face the issues we are having.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Ryan,

Just PM'd you for follow-up

Cheers
Mike