Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
jandrewartha
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Veeam Explorer for Exchange extremely slow to load mailbox list

Post by jandrewartha »

So I was actually doing a test restore (first time, my bad since I know a backup doesn't count unless you can restore it) and just loading the list of mailboxes in Veeam Explorer for Exchange is taking minutes. We only have 408 users (hmm I just noticed we're only licensed for 400, need to fix that) so I'm surprised at how long it takes. Opening a user's mailbox (to show the folder hierarchy) takes a while as well. I tested opening the database from our on-prem Exchange server VM (which only exists because of we're hybrid and you can't remove it and remain supported, backed up with VB&R) and it was pretty quick. Listing items in a mailbox is about the same in box, fairly slow for users with thousands (one I'm looking at now with 12,000 items is going to take 5 minutes). Is this level of performance expected or should I be looking at the environment?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Veeam Explorer for Exchange extremely slow to load mailbox list

Post by nielsengelen »

Are you storing your backups on local storage or object storage? And how is the VBO server sized?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Niels is correct. There could be many reasons why it is slow, including issues between the proxy and controller, low sizing of the VBO backup server and so on. So a bit more understanding of your environment might help us pinpoint the issue. But to answer your last question, no, it should not be that slow. So performance gains should be possible
jandrewartha
Enthusiast

Post by jandrewartha »

VBO365 is being stored on a Windows storage spaces device (a different server from the console), all hard drives in raid 5 with no caching (I can't remember how many stripes). VB&R storage is an appliance (something Dell I think, provided by our host) over SMB. The Veeam server (which runs VB&R, VBO365 and the console) has 4 cores and 16GB RAM.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

16GB ram is probably a bit low to run those 3 at the same time. I assume that might be your issue as we have to load that list in the memory. Is it a virtual server? It would be good if you could test and double the memory (to start)
jandrewartha
Enthusiast

Post by jandrewartha »

So I think what makes VBO365 so slow is that if you do the explorer from the job, it checks if each user is still being backed up (and hides those that aren't, which is a terrible misfeature if you ask me). Whereas if you browse from the organisation, it's quicker
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

That is not what happens in the background. When you load it from the job, we choose a restore point. From there it knows the list of objects in the job, so it doesn't need to compare things.