Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
JMM_SM
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Juergen Mittermueller

VOB retention policy question

Post by JMM_SM »

I need some help regarding retention policy settings. If I set the retention policy to 3 years: Will any email older than 3 years no more be part of the backup? Same for SharePoint: What happens to documents not modified since 3 years?

Second one: Is Snapshot-Based Retention the better way to go? Is a snapshot in VOB the same as in VBR? I don't get the advantage of snapshots vs item-level retention. How about dataspace comparing the two variants?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks, Juergen
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: VOB retention policy question

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi @JMM_SM

So, if you use item-level retention and set it to 3 years, then none of your objects older than 3 years (when modified we look at the modified date) will be in the backup. This also counts for SharePoint and OneDrive.

Snapshot-based: Yes, it is indeed (more or less) the same as in VBR. A backup of today will have exactly the same items in the inbox (or SharePoint site or OneDrive folder) as of the backup.

What is best? Depends on your legal requirements and your SLA's you have with your company.

Dataspace... Most likely (but not always) Snapshot-based will contain more data. However, it really depends on your archiving settings also.

Hope it helps
Mike
JMM_SM
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Juergen Mittermueller

Post by JMM_SM »

Thanks Mike,
so "Forever" is the only option without loosing data. But will this setup not increase backup space forever? I don't get the right setup to keep backups for 3 months but with ALL data in it, regardless of last modified. E.g. many important SharePoint documents are really old (never changed since uploaded). Same applies to old emails.
Thanks for your help!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Forever is indeed the only option if you never want to loose data. But what are your retention requirements? In many cases snapshot-retention with 3 months is enough for many organizations. That will also make sure you have the really old SharePoint documents / old emails