Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
theviking84
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: David Dunworthy

why not continuing from previous?

Post by theviking84 »

I moved a database from a vbo365 v4 to a new server. Then I installed v5 on the new server, copied the repository data over to the new server. Added it into vbo365 and let it "upgrade" the repo. Tested restore and all good.

Now I made a new job with the same settings that were on the old server. I expected this to now understand what is on the repo which is already all our data, and just do an incremental run.

However, I am running the job and it is doing a full as the job session shows, and way more data is being transmitted than what normally is each day on regular runs. My repo is 2TB size and I do not have another 2tb to use for this if it is really going to put a full backup down again.

So is there no way to make vbo365 just do incremental from the previous repo data? I followed this guide exactly (https://www.veeam.com/kb2649) except I did not do the optional step 6 where you move the existing proxy. I instead just made the new vbo 365 server be the new proxy.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2284 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: why not continuing from previous?

Post by Mildur »

This is how it is. Today, There is no feature in the product for mapping old vbo365 data to existing data in a other location like you know it from vbr.

Eventually there will be someday, that would be nice for us too. I have to migrate 4-5TB vbo365 data. But I‘m waiting because I have todo a Full Bsckup again at the moment.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
theviking84
Expert

Post by theviking84 »

Thanks. If I knew this I would have just not migrated the data from the old server to the new. Don't really see the point. You can just hang on to the old server until retention expires.

It still seems to be meshing into the existing database files though. So I take it there is also no way for me to delete anything at all either. I would have to just delete everything and then start over to get the smallest total size in the end.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi David,

After you re-attach an existing repository, VBO has to go through all the items in the database, one by one, and verify that all that needs to be in the repository is already there. In the job session, you see it as a full, but it doesn't download the same content again though, only the new and changed data.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2284 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Polina

This is new to me. Thanks.
I was afraid of the additional Storage requirements.
But now, i will try to migrate it myself
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
theviking84
Expert

Post by theviking84 »

That sounds much better. But as an example, my nightly runs were 5 to 15 gb before and now this new job run is already 170gb so far and it has a lot of objects to get through.

The one difference so far I noticed is I forgot to exclude deleted items on the exclusions. So this new server is backing up those. Maybe that will be the explanation of the differences. It is 600 mailboxes so I could see that adding up.

I will see what the total size ends up being. Very relieved to hear this if it ends up working this way.

Thanks
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Exclusions in jobs are one thing, but there're others that can also impact the backup size if configured differently on the old and new installations.
For example, are the folder exclusion settings the same on your old and new server (in General Options)? And if you're backing up to an item-level repository, are the retention periods identical on the old and new VBO installations?
theviking84
Expert

Post by theviking84 »

In general options the only difference is it is not excluding "deleted items".

item level is being used both on old and new server, and 3 years retention so that stuff matches.

The only thing I can see to explain it is the deleted items maybe. It's at 400+gb so far and is more towards the end, just a lot more than I expected from daily 5-15gb changes. I'm hoping the next run is back down to the small size.

If I wanted to enable the exclusion for "deleted items" before the next run, will veeam clean out all this extra data then automatically since the first run did back up deleted items? If so is that done constantly in the background or just at end/during each job run?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

David,

It won't get cleaned out itself. The current deleted items will remain there for the retention period.