Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Robvil
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Robert

Why so many issues with ver. 1.5

Post by Robvil »

Hi

Ever since upgrading to ver. 1.5 i had nothing but issues. Backup errors and backups never completes.
Now i just discovered my backup had been running since 14/12 with doing anything. Cancelled it and started it again. Let´s see.

Which there was a alarm when a backup had been running for X amount of time.

/Robert
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Why so many issues with ver. 1.5

Post by foggy »

Hi Robert, have you already involved our support engineers? I strongly recommend asking them to take a look at the behavior you're seeing.
Robvil
Expert

Post by Robvil » 1 person likes this post

Nope, Enden up increasing active threads from 4 to 10 and this time the backup finished.
Seems increasing and decreasing active threads helps.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Robert,

10 threads seems little to me (unless there are bandwidth considerations, or low resources on the VBO or Proxy server involved). For example, I am running at homelab with 64 threads. I think it is best you play a bit with those threads, and certainly (as Foggy suggested) involve our engineers when you encounter issues again. When they have access to the logs, they can clearly see much more and advise you

Mike
Robvil
Expert

Post by Robvil »

I already had a case open for this. Had to lower threads from 64 to 10 and then from 10 to 2 and from 2 to 4 and now on 10.
Maybe it is Microsoft which has some issues at their backend.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Robert,

It does happen from time to time that there are some issues. This is obviously not seen by the user (nobody notices that an email comes in a bit slower or faster in his inbox :-)). But that also does not mean it is Microsoft related. A few months ago I have done some testing and worked with some networking engineers from MSFT. Start testing with a single ping:

ping outlook.office365.com

See where it leads you to. This should be to a region very close to your VBO server, but I already noticed with a few customers that their server was somewhere in Europe but the network of the company lead the traffic to a US region (causing slow things as you noticed above). Also, how many CPU/ Mem did you give the machine and about how many mailboxes are we talking. A company I talked to (and asked to increase mem and cpu on their virtual VBO server) was able to increase the threads from 64 to 256 and suddenly had fantastic results (although then the issue became they stole all the bandwidth so they had to cap that :-))
Robvil
Expert

Post by Robvil »

I have approx. 40ms delay to the emea datacenter which is okay.
I turned up the threads to 10 and it has been running fine for several days now.

My O365 backup is on the same VM as my VBR server and has 4 vcpu and 12GB memory.