Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
YouGotServered
Service Provider
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Cory Wallace

Will VBO migrate away from legacy APIs for Modern Authentication?

Post by YouGotServered »

Hello!

I'm not well-versed in this area, so please correct me if I'm wrong here.

According to the Veeam user guide, you need several API permissions for using Modern Authentication (we're using Modern Authentication with Legacy Protocols Allowed, specifically): https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=50

In researching the "full_access_as_app" permission (I was researching because it is hard to find since MS buried it), I found that the API permission is supposedly being deprecated by Microsoft: https://www.michev.info/Blog/Post/3180/ ... ns-missing. Additionally, the SharePoint permissions have also been pushed into the same difficult to find area as that Exchange API permission, so I'm not sure if those are on the chopping block or not.

At least for the above Exchange API - is it being deprecated, if so when, and is Veeam transitioning functionality to another API? Or have I misunderstood this whole thing?

Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Will VBO migrate away from legacy APIs for Modern Authentication?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Cory,

You have not misunderstood it. It is a bit more complicated but the essence is correct.
We are indeed moving away from those legacy protocols as we already did in the modern authentication only. But, as you can read in our release notes, then there is certain functionality not possible. So we are keeping this authentication method until we have alternatives in the modern authentication only, that provides the same functionality. For now, not everything that we want is available in the graph API from Microsoft so we are keeping it.

Hope it makes sense
Thanks
Mike
YouGotServered
Service Provider

Post by YouGotServered »

Mike, thanks for the response. To clarify, I'm not talking about "Legacy Authentication", I'm talking about an API permission for "Modern Authentication" that appears to be reaching EOL and legacy status from MS. Is that what you are talking about, or are you talking about "Legacy Authentication" altogether?

Specifically, the full_access_as_app permission in the Exchange API. This permission is required even in the Modern Authentication Only configuration. However, it appears that Microsoft is deprecating this permission and they are making it harder to get to. It used to be under "Supported legacy APIs" in the API permission list, but now they've moved it somewhere else even more difficult to find.

So my question is this specifically: Is the full_access_as_app api permission being deprecated and if so, what is Veeam moving to instead?

Bonus question: The two SharePoint permissions (Sites.FullControl.All and User.Read.All) are in the same difficult-to-find menu as the full_access_as_app API permission - are those also going away?

Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

We will be moving to another permission that is linked to the graph API. Which one I can't say yet, some of those items are still in the works with MSFT. But we should be on time if that one is truly gone (it will take quite some time :-))
YouGotServered
Service Provider

Post by YouGotServered »

Got it, thanks Mike! Have a good Holiday :)
hbilke
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Post by hbilke »

Hi 2 all
Mike Resseler wrote: Dec 30, 2020 9:15 am We will be moving to another permission that is linked to the graph API. Which one I can't say yet, some of those items are still in the works with MSFT. But we should be on time if that one is truly gone (it will take quite some time :-))
Is there a status on this?

hRy
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 707 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Same state for now. We'll switch to new API permission, once it's available.