Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
lokiknox
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Cameron Andrews

Yearly Archive of Left Users

Post by lokiknox »

i was wondering what is the best way to handle a yearly archive of all the users that have left.
I work at a school and at the end of the end year we have reasonable number of users who leave and presently we normally run some scripts to export they mailboxes back to on-prem exchange and then to PST files which we then coupled with they home drives from the file server and then offshore to both tape and physical disks that are used for cold storage.

But with everything thing that has been going on more and more stuff has been throwing into Office 365 and on-prem files are barely used now.

So i was wondering what is the easiest way to be able to facilitate this end of year archive to tape and then to disk for cold storage. My thought was to move all the content from current job's repository to a new repository with say a 10year life span. The Tape side is easy to do via VEEAM Backup which we already do. I take it that for cold storage i could just copy the repository to a disk or two. but after i copy the repository is it safe to remove from Veeams list.

So in the end the procedure would be
Create Year Archive Repository
Moved left students to Repository
Backup Repository to Tape
Copy Repository to Disk(s)
Remove Repository from Storage

And i believe that to restore i would just load up either the Veeam Explorer for what data type i am trying to restore and then use the Add Database option using either the exchange database or appropriate backup option.

Hope this all makes sense.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Yearly Archive of Left Users

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

What about doing export to PST from the backups?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=50
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=50

I don't know what kind of repository (jet database or object storage) you are using. That's why I have no opinion on the "repository to tape" option.

Best regards,
Hannes
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Cameron,

What Hannes gives is indeed one of the possibilities, something we see quite often. Export it to PST and then use VBR or the agents to backup those files to tape for a period of time (depending on your SLA).

However, others use another method. They move the data from the specified user to a special repository that has a retention of X amount of time (again the SLA or legal requirement) and store it there until the retention is over
lokiknox
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Cameron Andrews

Post by lokiknox »

The VBO are backed up to local disk on server so thus JET Database.
backing the files up are easy enough to do with Veeam Backup, we currently backup our existing repositories to tape.
I mean i looked at PST Exports and that's doable and I believe i can also use a similar process to extract they OneDrive content but seems like a little bit of double handling.

I mean its a very similar process to what i am doing now and it's sort of why i though that if can just move the existing backed up data to another repository and then move that both an offline disk copy
and to tape. And then when need was able to just be able to restore from the offline disk copy then that would simplify the process completely.