Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Dave-Departed
Expert
Liked: 6 times

00151411 - Exchange backup - Restore points disappearing!

Post by Dave-Departed »

We have been successfully backing up an Exchange DAG member with Veeam for at least 20 days, and when we came to restore something recently, we saw that there are only 6 restore points available! And only yesterday, the restore point for 29/10/12 was present, yet today, it was gone! Job is reverse incremental with 28 restore points.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: 00151411 - Exchange backup - Restore points disappearing

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dave,

Could you please tell me if you've done anything to RIDAG1 VM recently? I see that you have two records for this VM in the backup job, which can only happen if you've re-registered this VM in the VI. Anyway, to get quicker assistance please continue working with our support team, as this is the first time I hear about this behavior.

Thanks!
Dave-Departed
Expert
Liked: 6 times

Post by Dave-Departed »

Hi Vitaly,

We moved the RIDAG1 VM to another host, but couldn't vMotion due to differing CPU architecture, so the quickest way was to remove the VM from the original host's inventory and register it on the new host.

**Edited to add - We have other servers which have been moved between hosts and still have the correct amount of restore points, it only appears to have happened with the Exchange backups**

Thanks

Dave
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It might be something to do with the deleted VMs retention policy, but the debug logs will definitely explain what is the true reason for that.