Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Giacomo_N
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Giacomo

1 Year retention

Post by Giacomo_N »

Hi guys, my boss ask me to extend the retention of my "long retention job" from 60 days daily to 60 days daily plus 1 Year weekly (4 points per month x 12 months).
Actually I follow the 3-2-1 Rule with two NAS repository in two buildings (4x10Gbs connection) and one tape library and I want to protect also this long retention or at worst keep 2 copies.

Is it possible to use the same Job or the same copy jobs or I need to create a dedicated one?

Thanks in advance
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: 1 Year retention

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Giacomo,

Did I get it right, you have the backup job targeting the first NAS and the backup copy job delivering VMs data with long retention to the second NAS? Thanks!
Giacomo_N
Enthusiast

Post by Giacomo_N »

Hi DGrinev,

thank you for the reply, actually I've 2 jobs the first one call BKP-job01 (long retention file server VM's) with 60 days daily and another job BKP-job02 (all others VM's) with 30 days daily.
Both job's are stored in the first NAS and then copied to the second one with two copy jobs with the same retention, at the end there is a copy to tape job with one week retention.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Just enable GFS retention scheme on backup copy jobs that you need and you're good to do. No additional jobs are needed. Thanks.
Giacomo_N
Enthusiast

Post by Giacomo_N »

v.Eremin wrote:Just enable GFS retention scheme on backup copy jobs that you need and you're good to do. No additional jobs are needed. Thanks.
Hi Eremin, thank you for the reply, do you mean this?

https://ibb.co/eBJshS

Actually It's set the same retention of the backup job (48 point, 2 months), now if I set "Weekly backup" 1 on Sunday, how many points I need to keep? 48 Points (2 months) + 52 point of the GFS (52 weeks=1Year)?
If yes, every GFS weekly backup is it a full backup?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi Eremin, thank you for the reply, do you mean this?
Correct.
Actually It's set the same retention of the backup job (48 point, 2 months), now if I set "Weekly backup" 1 on Sunday, how many points I need to keep?
If you want to have 1-year worth of weekly points, then, set weekly to 52.
If yes, every GFS weekly backup is it a full backup?
Correct.
Giacomo_N
Enthusiast

Post by Giacomo_N »

Hi Eremin, thank you for the explanation, in this scenario I need a lot of space, 52 Full backup + 60 daily..
I've just try to create a second copy job of the same backup and I set : backup every 7 days -> Restore point to keeps 52 ->GFS Monthly backup 1.
In this case I've only one full backup per month and 3 weekly incremental, if I use quarterly set to 1 there are one full every 3 months with more space saving.
Is it correct? Is it safe to use quarterly? The cons, I think, a very long job to complete.

I want to keep the second copy of the long retention, can I use another copy job to the NAS of the primary backup? Or better I can copy to TAPE..

Very thank you and have a good day!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

In this case I've only one full backup per month and 3 weekly incremental
There will be two fulls, actually: oldest restore point in current backup chain, GFS monthly restore point.
The cons, I think, a very long job to complete.
You should also test whether you'd really save any space, weekly set of changes might increase increment size.
I want to keep the second copy of the long retention, can I use another copy job to the NAS of the primary backup?
You mean backup copy job of backup copy job?
Giacomo_N
Enthusiast

Post by Giacomo_N »

Hi, thank you for the reply, i mean 2 copy job's: the first run daily with the same retention as the original backup (2 months 48 point to keep) and the second one run every 7 days with GFS 1 month with 52 point to keep.
I've try this w.end and the second job "CP-job02 1year full monthly" running well, now I'll waiting next Sunday, my doubt is when Sunday come the job "sync" all points and not the last one.
Please check the screenshots of the jobs settings:

https://ibb.co/fksRZH
https://ibb.co/n4v28c

Thank you and I hope to understand my bad english ;)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

i mean 2 copy job's: the first run daily with the same retention as the original backup (2 months 48 point to keep) and the second one run every 7 days with GFS 1 month with 52 point to keep.
OK, you can stick to this approach if it serves your needs.
I've try this w.end and the second job "CP-job02 1year full monthly" running well, now I'll waiting next Sunday, my doubt is when Sunday come the job "sync" all points and not the last one.
There will be only one restore point created on Sunday. The point will contain changes occurred throughout a week.
Giacomo_N
Enthusiast

Post by Giacomo_N »

Thank you again Vladimir, now it's "clear" for me, I try!