Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
beovax
Influencer
Liked: never

2 Backup Proxies sharing a single repository

Post by beovax »

A scenario I wanted to check what best way of setting this up is. Have two physical backup proxies which have access to the SAN for direct backup over fibre. They each have a SAS direct attached storage device. What I want to avoid is some backups being located on one repository. I would like to configure the proxies in automatic mode and trigger the backup jobs from a virtual machine backup manager. Is there a way to pool the storage from the 2 proxies or is it best to use SAN for the backup repository and share between the 2 physical proxies? Also want to ensure that if one of the proxies with the backups is lost the other contains the same backup data, in the past this has been achieved via copy jobs or 3rd party replication software.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: 2 Backup Proxies sharing a single repository

Post by foggy »

beovax wrote:Is there a way to pool the storage from the 2 proxies or is it best to use SAN for the backup repository and share between the 2 physical proxies?
No, there's no way to pool the backup repositories, but yes, you can share one repository between 2 proxies.
beovax wrote:Also want to ensure that if one of the proxies with the backups is lost the other contains the same backup data, in the past this has been achieved via copy jobs or 3rd party replication software.
With Veeam B&R v7, you can set up backup copy jobs to maintain another copy of your backups.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: 2 Backup Proxies sharing a single repository

Post by dellock6 »

Well, honestly it is possible to create a distributed repository, but it's something you need to create it outside of Veeam, and then present it to Veeam.
Just to give few hints, there are commercial solutions like GridStore, open-source like Ceph, or probably also the new Windows 2012 R2 Scale-out storage, but I've little knowledge about this last, need to study it deeper.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1