Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dhayes16
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Dave Hayes

(2) locations using Linux Hardened Repo?

Post by dhayes16 »

Hello All.
Sorry. Another Sanity check. So we have a larger customer who has (2) locations. One location consists of a Hyper-v server with (5) VM's (6TB usage) and the other site has Hyper-V with (3) VM's (3TB usage). So we presented them with a full-blown DR solution with replicas at each site, etc and they did not want to go that route due to the heavy hardware and Microsoft licensing costs.

So they want us to present a lower-cost option using a Linux Hardened Repo as the storage target and then push to cloud storage. Obviously, I explained the RTO to them if they had a massive outage and they are OK with being down for days if needed.

So we were thinking of going with a Linux Hardened Repo as the performance tier and then Wasabi Object storage as the capacity tier. Also will likely layer in an archive tier at some point. Now I believe one Linux Hardened repo can NOT be shared between VBR servers. So I am wondering if it would make sense to have (1) Linux Hardened Repo at EACH location for the performance tier and have a SOBR configured to offload to Wasabi. Basically, each site will operate independently. But will I need to have (2) VBR servers running to manage each site individually or can I use one VBR server at the one larger location to manage it all? They are all connected via a private VPN.

Or is there another way to leverage their point-to-point VPN connection with backup copy jobs?

They also want to back up their 365 tenant as well with about 150 users. Ideally, it would be great to have veeam VBO handle that to an on-prem Repo but VBO does not support Linux Hardened Repo's and we would need to go direct to object (correct me if I am wrong).

Thought....Maybe I should be proposing dual Windows servers at each site as opposed to the Linux Hardened Repo's to open up more possibilities for backup copy jobs and VBO storage. ?

Thanks for any info
Dave
dhayes16
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Dave Hayes

Re: (2) locations using Linux Hardened Repo?

Post by dhayes16 »

Hello...Thinking about this further..I am thinking of having (1) Linux-hardened Repo at each location (dedicated physical servers) firewalled off from other devices. Both locations are connected over a site-to-site VPN. And then just install the Backup server at the ONE primary location and add BOTH hardened repos into the server. Then we can control everything from that one backup server. With this configuration would it be possible to:

#1) Backup the workload at each location to their own dedicated Linux Hardened Repo.
#2) Create Backup Copy jobs to copy the backups from one location to another and visa versa.
#3) Maintain immutability throughout all backup jobs.

This way I can eliminate Wasabi from the equation for the backups. But will still likely need wasabi for VBO. Perhaps an archive tier later on.

Thoughts on this? I was hoping to keep it simple.

Thanks
Dave
Murigar
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Re: (2) locations using Linux Hardened Repo?

Post by Murigar »

This is largely what i have been doing for years.

One VBR, two repos (main datacenter , DR datacenter 10Gb link.)
I land all data at the main datacenter, and then backup copy it to DR datacenter.

I keep a non configured server at the DR site should i have to spin up VBR and attach it.
(Remember you cannot have a hardened repo attached to multiple VBR servers.)

I do not know about having hardened repos at both sites though.
I am running windows native at primary, and hardened at secondary.

Any thoughts in the community about backup copy from one hardened to another?