Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
easen
Novice
Liked: never

30 day full w/ daily incrementals best practice

Post by easen »

Hello,

We have set up our Veeam enviroment and I was wondering the best way to address our standard retention. We currently have a one month retention for our non critical systems. We are looking at 1 full monthly with daily incrementals. So lets say the full runs on March 1st and incrementals through the 31st and on April 1st another full runs. If I need to restore a system/directory/file from March 9th, would this be an issue?

I think it would and was looking at a forever forward policy. Just wondering what the best practice is for this type of request. Any help would be appreciated.

Our current set up includes a stand alone backup repository (ReFs), onsite storage grid as well as AWS for off site.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: 30 day full w/ daily incrementals best practice

Post by veremin »

No, it wouldn't, be aware though that obsolete restore points will be removed, only when there will be at least 30 restore points (I assume you will use 31 as number of retention points to keep). You can find more information regarding forward incremental mode here.

I think you can simply disable monthly full backup. This will switch your backup job to forward forever incremental mode, and this will guarantee that you only have the exact number of restore points that you've specified.

Thanks!
easen
Novice
Liked: never

Re: 30 day full w/ daily incrementals best practice

Post by easen »

Thanks for the response and info provided.