Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

accidently removed snasphot before jobfinish, backup usable?

Post by Peejay62 »

Hi,

somebody accidently removed the snapshot whilst a backup was still running. This backup happened to be a 4 TB machine running it's initial full and due to some resource constraints I had it running for a rather long time, it was at 98% pct when the snapshot delete occured.. grrrrr... The "data" backup ended ok, but obviously in the final phase it ended in error, removing snapshot.
I now start to wonder if that backup is usable? In the job I see it was processing the last disk (it has 24 disks). I'd like to believe the backup is OK but rather be sure about that. Due to some issues we have with this machine I'd rather not run a full once again. I also wonder if, on the next run, it doesn't start "rolling back changes made by incomplete job" because of the ending in failure.. Of course, I can try a test setup with a backup of a small vm to see what happens, but maybe somebody has experienced the same and can share with me,

thanks, Peter
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: accidently removed snasphot before jobfinish, backup usa

Post by foggy »

Peter, you can try to perform a restore to check that disk, if it was already processed by the moment of snapshot deletion, it could be fine. Anyway, even if the restore point is incomplete, during the next run it will be repaired and the data that were not completely transferred will be copied, so you do not need to perform a new full.
Peejay62
Expert

Post by Peejay62 »

thanks for the feedback. I don't think a restore for that seperate disk is usable, it's part of a spanned volume. I was thinking to do a virtual lab restore and run chkdsk or something like that. Another challenge will be that this vm holds 20 million+ files with a very strange directory structure that almost makes it unworkable to check for consistency. Best guess is to run a new full again, I think I will probably do that.

thanks, Peter
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

What if you right-click this backup in Veeam B&R console (under Backups node) and select Properties? Is this restore point marked as Incomplete?
Peejay62
Expert

Post by Peejay62 »

I checked.. It has an red exclamation mark and restore points is 0.. So probably unusable. I am thinking of tricking it. remove from backups and then import again.. Or will there be some information in the meta file telling it's unusable? I try anyway see what happens. I will start the new full anyway this evening.

thanks, Peter
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Try to just start the regular job run, it should re-use existing data already in backup file and take less than a brand new full.
Peejay62
Expert

Post by Peejay62 »

Ok, will do that.

thanks