Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Guido
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Guido

"active full backup" option for replication

Post by Guido »

Why doesn't have replication jobs some sort of an option like "Active full backup"? To do a one to one replication of the complete VM like you do in the first replication job.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: "active full backup" option for replication

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Guido,

Could you please tell me where would you place this new VM image? Since full run produces the same set of VM files (vmx, virtual disks etc.), you will need to remove exiting VM replica which will leave you without a backup for quite some time.

I bet this is not what you're looking for, right?

Thanks!
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Post by J1mbo »

Instead of what is effectively forever incremental, presumably. To be fair this has crossed my mind too. If there were some error in the CBT system it could remain hidden (until it's needed, no doubt).
Guido
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Guido

Post by Guido »

Hi J1mbo,
You discribed my concern better than I did.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

I don't think you'd have to send all the data again, basically just perform the equivalent of "mapping a backup", i.e. scan the target to recalculate the hashes, and scan the source completely rather than use CBT, sending only blocks where the hashes don't match. Sort of a "verify" for replicas.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6717 times

Post by Gostev »

That's exactly where I was heading to with my question that I posted here earlier, but then decided to delete to let you speak your real need first. I said that while active full is quite pointless functionality (because it will take a few days over WAN, plus what Vitaly said) - replica "health check" might be useful on the other hand. And just as Tom noted, we already have the code that does exactly that during replica seeding, mapping and failback anyway ;)
J1mbo
Veteran

Post by J1mbo »

So is this feature already implemented?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

The code is there, effectively that's what replica mapping does. Basically we'd just need a GUI function that triggered the same behavior as replica mapping.
J1mbo
Veteran

Post by J1mbo »

IMHO it would be a good feature to have and something that could be scheduled for example once a week or whatever. By hashing up blocks of hashes of blocks or just using large hash blocks, WAN bandwidth requirements could be pretty minimal even for large VMs (at the expense of broadly sequential IO at both ends, of course).