Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
andyboy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Nosrat

Active Full Bakcup option

Post by andyboy »

I have a Reversed incremental job that I created for our File Server with a 7 day retention policy. If I choose the option for Active Full Backup once a month on the first Saturday of each month, how long does the Active Full data stay on the disk that I'm backing up to? And if any of the Reverse incremental jobs gets corrupted, does this make the Active Full job corrupted as well?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Active Full Bakcup option

Post by foggy »

Andrew, with reversed incremental backup mode, changes are “injected” into the .vbk file during each backup job run. The most recent restore point is always a full backup that is updated after every backup cycle. So with retention set to 7, you will always have the VBK file (most recent restore point) and 6 VRB files (rollback restore points). Active full backup on the first Saturday of each month will start backup chain anew, creating a completely new VBK. I recommend reviewing the description given in the user guide for better understanding. Thanks.
andyboy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Nosrat

Post by andyboy »

Yes, I understand that. But we need to store 1 full backup a month that contains "older data" just in case we need to get old data back. So if I enable the Active Full Backup for every saturday, and my retention policy is 7 restore points, will I have 7 Active Full Backups after 7 months? The vbk file is about 2TB currently, times that by 7, eats up more than half of our backup space.
ccatlett1984
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Chris Catlett

Post by ccatlett1984 »

Create a backup copy job to run monthly, and set your retention as needed. If you only need to store one month back, then you can.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Otherwise, you can run VeeamZIP once a year. VeeamZIP is designed specifically to act as completely independent "full" restore point. Also, with VeeamZIP there is no need to create additional job. If you want to run this process in automatic fashion, then, you should utilize Veeam PS snap-in.

Thanks.