AD Explorer and Agent backup

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

AD Explorer and Agent backup

Veeam Logoby Anders » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:40 am

I am in the process of testing the Veeam Agent on a physical AD server.

The setup looks like this:
Physical Veeam server running on Win2012 R2
Physical Active Directory server running on Win2016
The veeam server is running on Enterprise Plus license.

I installed Veeam Agent on the AD server, and a trial license for the Agent on the Veeam server, and configured the AD server to backup to a Veeam repository.
It all Works fine.

Then I wanted to test restores - The Veeam server showed the AD Explorer, so it knows its an AD server. But the AD Explorer starts up with an error saying "The specified database cannot be opened on this OS version. (JetError -512, JET_errBadLogVersion, Version of the log file is not compatible with Jet version)

Does the veeam server have to be Windows 2016 for this to Work?
Or is it simply unsupported? The Explorer for Active Directory web page (https://www.veeam.com/microsoft-active- ... lorer.html) says:
"...supports the following Microsoft Active Directory Domain Controllers running on VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V:"
so it basicly says it does not support DC's running physical.
Or is it some third error I didnt think about, and I should make a support case?

/Anders
Anders
Enthusiast

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Anders Lorensen

Re: AD Explorer and Agent backup

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:49 am

Hi Anders,

I believe the issue is that your AD is running 2016 and you are doing the restore (the mount) on a 2012 R2 server which causes the incompatibility. Can you install a console and the explorers on any windows server 2016 and do the restore from that console? Then it should be mounted on 2016 and work

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 380 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby Anders » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks for the reply.

The only servers running Win2016 in this setup is the two AD servers... (1 virtual, 1 physical)
I tried the AD Explorer on the Virtual AD server - same error. So looks like you are right.
Guess I'll have to get something upgraded!

/Anders
Anders
Enthusiast

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Anders Lorensen

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:37 am

actually,

Can you install the console/ explorers on a windows 10 machine? I believe that works also (windows 10 is the same OS family as 2016)
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 380 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication