Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
numberaut
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Leif Buckner

Adding NIC & New Network to Veeam

Post by numberaut »

I have Veeam up and running and have successfully replicated a VM with it. I have 2 physical hosts running ESXi 4.x. I have Veeam installed in a VM running Windows 2008 R2.

However, this is all going across the initial management network port of the host not running my Veeam VM.

I have a 4port 1gb card in each physical host. I want to assign the 2nd port on each to do just Veeam. I know how to do this in Linux or Windows, and I know how to change the hosts file in Windows to make it use a new IP and subnet. I also know how to create a vswitch and make a cross over between 2 VMs residing on each hosts. I do not know how to add this to the real host, and therefore, have Veeam send replicas across the second port dedicated to just Veeam.

How do I go about setting this up in VMWare? Are there shell commands similar to Linux? I have been using the shell just fine to make thin provisioned copies of VMDKs, etc.
numberaut
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Leif Buckner

Re: Adding NIC & New Network to Veeam

Post by numberaut »

This was apparently just ESXi learning curve. I'm still learning ESXi after years of Ubuntu running VMWS2.x. I now have the secondary VMkernel Port configured and working, and my Veeam VM is pinging it good from the other host. I should now be able to send all traffic across this dedicated 1gb interface, instead of glutting the management on the non-Veeam host.

Mind you, I do not have shared storage (we are small), and I have to do all replicas between the only 2 ESXi 4.x physical hosts that we have.

Once the vSwitch is made, here is the path to configure the VMkernel Port from vSphere Client:

vSphere Client/Hostname/Configuration Tab/Virtual Switch: vSwitch[#]/Properties/Ports Tab/Add Button/VMkernel/[Fill-in Port Group Properties]