Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
itzikd
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: itzik

Advice needed

Post by itzikd »

Hello,
I have performed a number of projects in the workspace Veeam Hyper- V . Right now I need to make a project backup and replication of VMware environments and point it was my first project , I ask for your help .
Living environment including 3 Physical Servers which are connected to a Netapp Storage .
All of the servers running VMware Esxi OS 4.1 . I need to perform replication to 10 servers when all 9 are servers without the need for special performance ( one CPU , 4 GIGA MEM ) . Additional server is DB server which works with two processors and 12 GIGA MEM .
Replication and backup will be made Dell R620 server and to - NAS sitting in the basement and connected with an optical cable (On Site Replicatin).
The solution I think it is installed in the basement Dell r620 server with two processors and 64 GIGA memory , six 10K SAS disks (Raid 5) . Upon us to install ESXi 4.1 server to perform replication .
Since I do not have much experience with VMware So my questions are:
1. Is my solution is reasonable or missed something ?
2 . Whether I need to install the server Veeam Originally a virtual or physical server ?
3 . Do I need to install another server on target running Active Direcctory \ Vcenter or they can be the virtual server ?
4 . Did your experience Dell R620 server with the configuration listed above can contain a quantity of 10 virtual machines ?
Thanks in advance for any help
itzikd
Novice

Re: Advice needed

Post by itzikd »

Hello again,
I forgot to ask another question further:
  I saw one of the guides I have also Veeam Backup Server and Backup Proxy Does it have to be two separate servers or I can it will be on the same server?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

1. Yes, it seems fine, though can you please tell me how are you going to present your NAS box to the Veeam server?
2. I would go with a physical server and direct SAN backup mode. See out sticky F.A.Q. for more info on how to configure it > Direct SAN Access Mode
3. Not sure I understand the question. There is no need to install anything on the target ESXi host if you're running replication jobs over the local network.
4. I believe it should be fine.
5. Veeam B&R server is installed with a built-in proxy server role, so yes, these servers can be deployed on the same machine.

Hope this helps!
itzikd
Novice

Post by itzikd »

Hello and thanks for the reply.
1. I'm going to present my NAS box to the Veeam server as a shared folder (CIFS).I'm going to install a simpele NAS "Lenovo's IOMEGA IX2" so I do not see another way to do this unless you have an idea of ​​how I view it as a Linux Server.
In the Source environment installed three physical servers in the configuration of VMware HA.
1. Whether the new target server I need to associate that VMware HA or a standalone server .
2.If I only want to back up some of the virtual servers, can I just divide them between two physical servers and acquire only a license for four processors instead of six (each physical server has two processors)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

1. CIFS share would work fine. If this box has perl and SSH enabled you should be able to add is as a Linux server.
2. You need to license all sockets on the source hosts. If want to backup only some of your VMs, then you need to place them on the same ESXi server.