Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
workict
Novice
Liked: never

Advice of the right backup job

Post by workict »

Hello,

I now have the following backup job setup in Veeam running;
- Daily backup running each night at 23:00 hours. It's a own backup job with the retention policy of 14 points.
- Weekly backup running each saturday at 5:00 hours. It's a own backup job with the retention policy of 10 points.
- Monthly backup running each sunday at 4:00 hours. It's a own backup job with the retention policy of 12 points.
- Yearly backup running first day of the new year at 14:00 hours. It's a own backup job with the retention policy of 99 points.

There are a lot of jobs running and lot's of restore points but every job gives me the report of succesfull run of not and the restore of files/vm's is always possible.

But in Veeam it's also possible to make a backup job and attach a copy job (to run when the backup job is finished) and in that copy job you can set restore points as full backups for archival purposes. You can set a weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly retention policy.

But what is better to use?
New backup jobs for the daily/weekly/montly/yearly backup or set a single daily backup job and attach a copy job which arrange the weekly/monthly/yearly copy job?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Advice of the right backup job

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

The best practice is to have a regular backup job to fast primary storage for operational restores and then backup copy with GFS retention to a secondary storage (dedupe, typically) for archival purposes.
workict
Novice
Liked: never

Post by workict »

Ok thanks for the answer.
I'll stay with the regular backup jobs and setup backup copy jobs to the secondary storage.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You may also want to review our reference architecture for some other valuable hints. Thanks!