Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Richard.joseph
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Maverick Joseph

After restore of full backup can I update the files using a Incremental backup?

Post by Richard.joseph »

Hi Everyone,

So, we created a full back up last January 4 on a files server (Fileserver01) and we restore it to check how long will it take to restore the whole backup (Still not active), we are planning to run an incremental on our files server (Fileserver01) on January 7 (Same VM). Is it possible that the files restore on January 4 will be updated or replace by the files that where included on the incremental backup on January 7?.
For our full backup it took more than 1 day to restore it and we just want to update the files that where updated or added from January 5-7 without restoring the whole back up again.

Thanks,

Richard Joseph
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: After restore of full backup can I update the files using a Incremental backup?

Post by Mildur »

Hi

With V11a this is not directly possible.
You would need to mount the backup with Veeam and use third party tools (ex. robocopy or fastcopy) to compare the files of the mounted backup with the target machine to only restore files which are not there.
Our next version V12 will allow you to do the comparison and only restore changed files.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Richard.joseph
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Maverick Joseph

Re: After restore of full backup can I update the files using a Incremental backup?

Post by Richard.joseph »

Hi Fabian,

Thank you so much for the response.