After SQL restore database appears twice in Veem report

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

After SQL restore database appears twice in Veem report

Veeam Logoby sta-bitbw » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:39 am

Hallo all.

I have set up an application aware SQL transaction log backup with backup interval of 15 minutes. This works ok.

After a point-in-time restore Veeam shows in every backup report two instances of the restored database. Once in state Protected, the other in state Excluded. The error message states "Transaction logs from some databases were not backed up for the last <n> intervals".

I can make this go away with manually starting a VM backup (scheduled to run once a day). After this Veeam reports the database only once in state Proteced.

Is this a Veeam issue or is it something with my backup/restore setup?
I guess the VM backup does a database backup that maybe fixes some transaction log things caused by the restore. Is a database backup required after every restore as part of standard recovery procedure?

Thank you,
Thomas.
sta-bitbw
Novice

Liked: never

Re: After SQL restore database appears twice in Veem report

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:44 am

Hi Thomas, this is expected in case you've performed restore to original location. After the database is restored and until the moment of the next VM backup the Veeam B&R cannot backup it's logs, since there's no backup of the database itself, so the restored database is excluded from the logs processing. Once the SQL server is backed up, the database is switched to protected, instead of the database existed prior the restore.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1079 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby sta-bitbw » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:49 am

Thank you for the explanation.

Have a nice day.
Thomas
sta-bitbw
Novice

Veeam Logoby R.Stuivenberg » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:57 am

I have the same problem, I can understand that when there has been a restore that until the moment of the next backup I get this error message.

Only a few days later I still get the same error messages and one DB is excluded and one Protected.... I get the message "Transaction logs from some databases were not backed up for the last <n> intervals".
The Excluded DB gives me 23 errors....

Thanks
Richard
R.Stuivenberg
Lurker

Full Name: Richard Stuivenberg

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication