Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

[GIVEAWAY] All-inclusive VeeamON 2017 experience

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

We have less than two months left until VeeamON 2017 in New Orleans, and I was able to arrange a very special giveaway for all Veeam forum members – the all-inclusive VeeamON experience (full conference pass + flight + hotel). The contest rules are very simple – just share some story about Veeam in this topic, anything you want really: your best restore story, or your most memorable Veeam experience, or how you convinced your business to switch to Veeam, or even just some catchy phrase or joke about Veeam that you or your colleagues use. Even a few words can win, so don't pass the opportunity!

The best submission will win the grand prize – and in case more than one entry stands out (or if all are equally bad ;) we will rely on the amount of your forum posts since the previous VeeamON to pick the winner among a short list.

Please post below - and good luck!
kubimike
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: MikeO

Re: [GIVEAWAY] All-inclusive VeeamON 2017 experience

Post by kubimike » 1 person likes this post

From the e-mails I get from the veeam box on completion , you can say 'Veeam nothing but [Success]'
benyoung
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Ben Young

Post by benyoung »

Being a cloud service provider our customers were screaming out for the ability for us to provide them with the tools to interact with our Veeam Backup environment.

To maintain the best possible user user experience for our customers we took the bull by the horns and dove straight into the deep end of automation via the Enterprise Manager API which is fronted by our own API/wrapper

The outcome? Fantastic feedback from our customers who now have the ability and freedom to manage/view their Veeam Backup assets all from the same portal they work with day to day.

In the last month and a half we have the following in production.

Code: Select all

- Job Creation when a new customer is provisioned
- Ability for customer to move assets between different jobs
- Ability to maintain their own credentials to keep the auditors happy
- Backup session status/history viewer including list of servers backed up etc, also shows percentage complete for running jobs
- View replication jobs assigned to them and granular restore point for each include
- View failover plans and boot order of includes
- Initate quick backup of any server asset they manage as an alternative to full vmware snapshots when performing maintenance etc
- View individual restore points for every server asset
- Built a restore point mount/browser for clients to view files 
- Ability to guest restore (inject) back into operating system either single files or entire folders
- Ability to download files (via their browser) directly out of backup mounts
- Full task information provided back to the interface for restore operations so they can see the status, percentage complete etc
On the cloud connect front we have also automated for our customers via the same portal

Code: Select all

- Self provision of a tenant including;
- Provision and attachment of a cloud connect repository
- Provision and attachment of cloud replication resources
- Ability to modify existing resources/allocations
It certainly had it's ups and downs but that being said we are very happy with the level of automation that we have been able to acheive to date (even found a couple of bugs along the way) - there are a few things we would love to see / have improved / added which we have been feeding back on the forums and through appropriate channels.

What next? who knows! We certainly wont be stopping and Veeam is very much cemented as part of our solution.
mhmdadl
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Muhammad Adel

Post by mhmdadl »

Check this out.... Why I switched to Veeam :

Why I switched to VEEAM
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-i-sw ... ammad-adel
micwv8
Novice
Full Name: Michael Walkenhorst

Post by micwv8 »

A couple acronyms for "VEEAM" spring to mind:

Valuable
Enterprise
Excavation
Adept
Methodology

and

Valuable
Enterprise
Expedient
Archival
Methodology
CCastellanos
Influencer
Full Name: Carlos Castellanos

Post by CCastellanos »

As I have said since the very first love at first sight with Veeam and its patents... B&DRaaS... Backup & DR as a Service or may I say now AaaS (no pun intended :oops: ) Availability as a Service. This was almost an unintentional epiphany at the time.
Veeam ubiquity and flexibility allowed us to push our horizon forward and work on an Availability Index metric... to be conitnued...
With original soultions and Non For Profit budget would would have never even dream of having the implementation, protection and peace of mind we have now at our Retail stores and company-wide for that matter.
ic_mcourtney
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: mcourtney

Post by ic_mcourtney »

I've used Veeam Backup & Replication for a long time, as nothing more than a VM backup tool. It has always worked well, but I have never being a passionate supporter.

That changed recently when a storage array in one of our DCs had a hardware failure.
We discovered the array was out of support, replacement parts were weeks away, and if another component failed it would be a critical failure.
We decided that we needed to replicate all VMs from the affected DC to one of our other DCs, so that we could spin them up there if the storage array did fail.
Initially I tried to configure array based replication to a storage array in another DC. I spent hours trying to get it working with no success.
That's when I remembered that Veeam Backup & Replication was also capable of replication.
Within minutes I had configured a replication job. Not only that, on top of replicating the VMs VBR was capable of registering them to vCenter and attaching them to the appropriate port groups -- none of which would have been possible with array based replication alone.

Thankfully replacement parts for the affected storage array arrived before we needed to initiate a failover, but it was great to know that Veeam had us covered if we needed it. I now recommend Veeam Availability Suite to anyone I encounter!
feelgoodeule
Influencer
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by feelgoodeule »

When I read the Gostev's newsletter this morning, the first Veeam-story that came into my mind was the following:
I visited VeeamOn at Hanau (germany) and met a veeam guy at a stand. We talked about this and that and I mentioned that I wrote a post at the veeam-forum, "Here it is: Powershell script to add VEB-EMails". He answered that he knows the post and that he would be very proud if he would have initiated it. Maybe that was fishing for compliments, maybe I'm vain, but at least he had read it carefully what made me a little proud (just looked it up again, more than 100 replies, still active discussion).
What made me even more happy was, that email notification is built in in VEB for long now and that my solution is obselete. Maybe because of my post, but definitively because Veeam listens to their customers, even concerning their freeware.
:D
sameer2803
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: sameer ahmed shaikh

Post by sameer2803 » 1 person likes this post

Here's my story as a presales
We have a customer is UAE who is using Symantec backup exec for year. they most critical server for them is their exchange server which around 2TB in size.
so they way they take backup of their exchange server is unknown but it takes 36 hours for them for complete backup to finish.
SO i went there for a presentation and POC.
I was discussing about instant recovery and surebackup.
ME: i asked them about this exchange server that how much time it will take for restore and they were unsure about it. but they said should take around 72 hours.
ME: how do you check if you backup is recoverable. they said we never check.
me: thats risky... then what do you to ensure its recoverable and what if it goes down
client: so all we do, every morning we come to office, we swipe in our card and enter the datacenter and do a Mass prayer "Oh god please take care of the exchange server"
me: ROFLMAO

Then we did a POC for them on Veeam and we restore the exchange server in 10mins using IR. and that's it.
they had 6 month remaining for their renewal of backup exec yet they bought Veeam.
happy ending!!
evander
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by evander »

Veeam: Because data.
GraPghaST
Influencer
Full Name: Robbert Erents

Post by GraPghaST » 1 person likes this post

Almost finished connecting old and new:

I'm running an infra with old and discarded hardware, called the "Vintage Hardware Stack". Check the acronym letters :-) Not really performing or with lots of capacity, but it still has all the functionalities that a modern datacenter has. Very usable to train young or more advanced administrators in the Noble Art of Datacenters. And, just as every infra does, back-up has to be set up as well. Combining the old with the new: A fullblown Veeam B&R install with an EQL as target for backup to disk. It just works, without much maintenance effort.

But the coolest thing is that I have connected a TL4000 iSCSI Tape Library I found somewhere as well. I created a VM, I connected the Tape Library through iSCSI to it, and installed the Tape components from Veeam on it. Now we have Tape (old) but portable, manageable and low-maintenance because it's connected through iSCSI to the Veeam B&R Console (new).

Veeam: I love it.

[EDIT]
Tape is not dead.
[/EDIT]
arielcabral
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ariel Cabral

Post by arielcabral » 1 person likes this post

My boss didn't want to buy a veeam license to back up our infra, and then chose to not back up at all (Unbelievable as it is, yes, that was the decision) the whole infrastructure

It all went fine until we had a major crash on our DC/dhcp server and we needed a restore, so I did it. My face was like 'I told you!'

Stubborn as I am, I set my NFR license in a lab for testing and showing "look guys, super cool stuff huh?" but my whole presentation got shut down because the discussion was over even before starting it, so I forgot about it. Four months later we were thinking: So the only option is to redo the whole thing, right? Where do we start the rebuild? Went to the lab server, and guess what: There was an intact NFR installation of Veeam running on the server when we went to see if there was something that we needed to keep. And there was a back up of our precious server taken two nights before
10 minutes later we were back in business, and now I was asked to finally get the number to budget in veeam :)
SETU_jb
Lurker
Full Name: Jonas Bareiß

Post by SETU_jb » 1 person likes this post

It is kind of funny:
95% of the time needed to manage backups at my Company is Raging at our old Hardware Backup Strategy (BE) :(
5% is reading Veeam "Success" messages 8)
josemiguelcasado
Lurker

Post by josemiguelcasado »

All you need is Veeam!
johannesk
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

Post by johannesk » 1 person likes this post

You can't buy happiness.....But you CAN buy Veeam!
lomvik
Lurker
Full Name: John Lomvik

Post by lomvik » 1 person likes this post

A true story, Veeam makes you Smile ;)
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

Veeam: It just works
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
namiko78
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Steven Stirling

Post by namiko78 »

Veeam has changed my life. Now instead of investigating random failure messages from our old backup software, i'm reading about successful backups and living the life! Cheers to veeam!
cottageboy
Lurker

Post by cottageboy » 1 person likes this post

Best backup solution that I've seen out there.
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

No Ransomware nightmares as Veeam help me sleep at night.
Trelor
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times

Post by Trelor »

I have been using Veeam since 2011, across three different jobs that I have had as a system administrator. At first everyone was hesitant to switch, we used Backup Exec at the first company, Backup Assist at the second company, and Backup exec at the Third company. Each company was hesitant in switching their backup software, but after switching all companies were very happy, the backups were up to 10 times faster with little to no failure messages, and if there were failures, they were usually related to internal issues not Veeam. Also Veeam was great at the company that used Backup Assist, as i was able to write a power-shell script to rotate tapes with different jobs within Veeam for a Three week rotation, M-F, then a separate EOM tape out of the pool. All in all I hope Veeam keeps up the great work an innovation that has allowed me to focus on other things instead of worrying about if my backups will finish in a 24 hour window or not!
johannesk
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

Post by johannesk »

.....at any given time, the urge to restore ANY data... is just a Veeam'away. (in the network, the frightning network, the virus hides today...) ...a VeeamAway...a VeeamAway......a VeeamAway......a VeeamAway......a VeeamAway......a VeeamAway......a VeeamAway......a VeeamAway...:
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Post by ober72 » 9 people like this post

A good morning starts with coffee and cream
while viewing a backup report that is colored in green.

There was a time when nothing of the sort would be seen
Those were the bad old backup days before the arrival of Veeam

Broken restores will break an Admin's spleen
But by using Veeam one's health remains keen

No backup operator wants to face an angry user who turns mean
Instead grateful elation is what we see in our dreams

So if you want your engine moving forward at full steam

I have but three words for you from me and my Team:

Veeam, Veeam Veeam!!!
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

@Geoff wow! :D
fcoa
Novice
Full Name: Eric

Post by fcoa »

Veeam has been an outstanding addition to my environment. It's fast, reliable and comes with some great add-on perks, like the ability to establish a Virtual Lab for testing. I've been very pleased with this system.
tevans8
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Travis Evans

Post by tevans8 »

As a team, we've been using the phrase "Veeam sees everything." Major networking issue? Veeam saw it first. Performance issues in the environment? Veeam saw it first. Problems with a vCenter? Veeam saw it first. Corruption issues on a VM? Veeam saw it first. You name it, and, if Veeam uses it in your environment, it will highlight the problems that exist or never fully show themselves. Veeam is not just looking out for your data; it's also keeping a watchful eye on your environment. Ever vigilant. Ever watching. Veeam sees everything.
deveritt
Lurker
Full Name: David Everitt

Post by deveritt »

It just works.
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

Between Version 9.5, Forward Forever Incrementals, and setting up SureBackup, we are now backing up in half the time, using 1/3 less storage, and getting validation that backups can successfully boot.

Things are looking up.
gveat
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Greg Veater

Post by gveat » 1 person likes this post

We are currently in the process of moving from using Veeam, DPM, and Robocopy to backup our data. When I started I had only used the free version and worked for a different employer. After moving to my new job. We committed to transitioning our process to Use Veeam exclusively. So far I have every piece set, but not the ability to copy files from a physical server. Some days the Veeam Agent can take 10 hours. This had lead us to rethink how we use VMs in as a whole.

Thank you for taking us from comfort to finally thinking and changing.
push3r
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by push3r » 1 person likes this post

I tell management that even if our building is "beeamed" up by an alien mothership, there is nothing to worry about as with one click, our ENTIRE production site can be fired up in less than 1 hour. Veeam replication to a DR site is in placed and as bonus point, we did it on the cheap! Veam B&R = Business as Usual, Defender of the datacenter.