Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
EddieA
Novice
Liked: never

Allow Network as a File Copy Location

Post by EddieA »

Backup & Replication 6.1, which replaced FastFCP, has the same failing as the previous product.

For a File Copy, to or from Windows, the Network is not offered as a location. Nor can I add the Linux based file server as a server to B&R as the server does not allow user/password access via SSH, only key authentication.

Can Network be added as a future enhancement.

Cheers.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Allow Network as a File Copy Location

Post by tsightler »

For a "File Copy Job" you can specify both source and destination as a network, but your right, it doesn't appear that a single adhoc copy allows this, although you could just use Windows for that use case.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

EddieA wrote:Nor can I add the Linux based file server as a server to B&R as the server does not allow user/password access via SSH, only key authentication.
I'm not great expert in Linux, but to add Linux servers to the Veeam B&R console you have to use "Password" authentication method. What key authentication are you referring to?
tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler »

I think he's saying that his appliance only support key authentication. It would be great if we could implement SSH key based authentication in our product at some point and time. This is generally the preferred method for "non-interactive" logins with SSH and is support by most appliances. Basically the host generates a "public/private key pair" and gives the public key to the client (optionally encrypted with a password). The client can then use this "key" to authenticate to the SSH server rather than a simple username/password. It's basically similar to certificate based authentication in Windows.

http://www.debuntu.org/ssh-key-based-authentication
EddieA
Novice

Post by EddieA »

tsightler wrote:For a "File Copy Job" you can specify both source and destination as a network, but your right, it doesn't appear that a single adhoc copy allows this,
Yeah, I found that after I posted. But it's a little more cumbersome to use for a single copy.
tsightler wrote:although you could just use Windows for that use case.
Not sure what you mean.

Cheers.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I think Tom means it's easier to use native Windows tools and scripts to do simple file copy rather than involving Veeam Backup, right Tom?
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
EddieA
Novice

Post by EddieA »

dellock6 wrote:I think Tom means it's easier to use native Windows tools and scripts to do simple file copy rather than involving Veeam Backup, right Tom?
Native Windows doesn't have access to an ESXi DataStore. Unless you count the DataStore Browser in the vSphere Client, which this is trying to replace as a faster implementation.

Cheers.
tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler »

You can always just mount the share to a drive letter, although you might have to mount it as system via psexec (haven't tried this yet). I guess I never really thought that there would be a good reason to use Veeam in a non-scheduled way for one-off, uncompressed copies of files on a datastore. You can do it now with VeeamZIP. Are you looking at some specific use case, like copying ISO files or something? Just curious.
EddieA
Novice

Post by EddieA »

tsightler wrote:like copying ISO files
Exactly that. And patches.

Cheers.