Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ahsict
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Simpson

Another best practice question

Post by ahsict »

Dear All

Sorry in advance if this question has been asked and answered many times before... I am looking for some best practice with our VEEAM backupss:

Virtual Environment:

3 x ESX Hosts, running around 6 VMS each
Data is stored on an iSCSi SAN

VMs:

All Windows server 2012
4 File servers have de-dupe turned on and working

Target:

QNAP ts-870u-rp

Connection:

Target is situated in a different building on site, across a fibre LAN link via 2 intermediate switches

VEEAM server:

Is a VM hosted on the QNAP itself, therefore with direct access to the QNAP disks

Backup types: Mostly nightly, with inline dedupe turned on, optimised for LAN, reverse incremental

Please can someone sanity check this setup, be brutal :D

Kind regards

Martin
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Another best practice question

Post by foggy »

Martin, have you already run your jobs? After getting bottleneck stats numbers for them we could comment on how to optimize your setup. Meanwhile it looks viable except the point that you seem to put backups on VMFS (correct me if I'm wrong), which is not a best practice.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I would also take a closer look at the 4 Windows machines with dedupe enabled, if the performances are not so great I would lower or even disable compression/deduplication at the Veeam level.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
ahsict
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Simpson

Post by ahsict »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the tips

@foggy - I had a look at that thread, very useful thanks! Am I right in thinking this is seen as sub-optimal practice because of risk of loss, as opposed to speed or performance based?

@ - Thanks delock - i will give that a go. It had occurred to me that the two de-dupes might be hindering things.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Am I right in thinking this is seen as sub-optimal practice because of risk of loss, as opposed to speed or performance based?
It's not the best practice due to the three main problems mentioned in the referenced thread:

- if somethings happens with datastore, both productions VMs and backup data and will be automatically lost
- performance might leave much to be desired
- restore process will be quite complex, as ESXi host will be required to access backups

Thanks.