Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pbenson
Veeam Software
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Patrick Benson

Any chance we'll ever have all Veeam components available as virtual appliances?

Post by pbenson »

This is a rant for a feature request I guess. I wasn't quite sure where else to post it, so I hope no one minds it going here as I figure vSphere environments would benefit the most from it. If it results in something better coming out of Veeam even if that something better is not what I'm requesting, well then it was a useful post to make regardless of the outcome. :)

Something that I wish I did not have to do in order to deploy Veeam is to having to deploy Windows. Now I'm not bashing Windows. I prefer Linux, but my Windows skills are quite strong and that is for a good reason: Windows has a huge footprint, so you better know it and be comfortable with it.

This is about convenience and ease-of-deployment while at the same time having a solution that scales. I want every component of a Veeam solution to be available as an OVA appliance (or something that achieves the same results). Installing Windows just so that I can deploy Veeam is a step I would rather eliminate if possible (and the same is true if I have to deploy Linux if you think about it).

For one I have to acquire a Windows license. Either for the VM itself, or a Datacenter Edition license for the hypervisor if I use a VM and it makes sense to pay for the more expensive license. That not only means that I have to spend more in addition to paying for Veeam itself, but I also have to account for all of the work that goes along with it. I have to keep track of the license, and renew it, upgrade it, figure out what CALs are needed for it and so much more. I may have to install additional software to protect it, manage it, monitor it and each of these tasks no matter how small chips away at my most valuable resource of time. Time I can never get back, so I want to spend it wisely.

Veeam is already delivering partly on this request. We can deploy a proxy on Linux now, so that gives me an option to eliminate Windows licenses in some cases. Veeam's appliances in the Azure Marketplace let me deploy a solution very quickly even if it is still running Windows with the software already installed. It is as if what I want is just around the corner if the Veeam staff wanted to pursue it.

Keep in mind that an OVA does not have to run Linux. If it runs Windows that is just fine. What an OVA does need to provide IMO are the following benefits:

1) The OS is pre-configured, hardened and the cost of any required licenses is baked into the Veeam pricing that I pay.
2) The software is already installed and it is fine tuned to deliver only the role that I want the OVA to fulfill (proxy, backup server, VPN, gateway, etc.).
3) The appliance is updated when Veeam pushes out an update for any of the components. If the OS needs an update it is pushed out by Veeam, any software update is pushed out by Veeam and the deployment of these updates is managed by a Veeam console (Veeam ONE perhaps?).

As I have already mentioned, I don't care if these virtual appliances are running Windows under the covers. The value comes from the appliance being locked down and fine tuned by the provider, so that I'm not dealing with the day-to-day tasks that a Windows administrator does. If Veeam controls the appliance build, then I shouldn't have to worry about a possible exploit requiring a Windows update due to a bug found in software needed for graphics rendering of video because Veeam would have locked that down or eliminated the software. The box just does Veeam stuff. I don't have to worry about someone using the browser and visiting phishing sites, because the box just does Veeam stuff. You can't log into and launch a browser in the first place.

So that it my dream for Veeam deployments in the future. Download an OVA as needed for the role that must be deployed, hook it up to a Veeam console to manage it, and never even log into the virtual appliance directly as it just hums along delivering the Veeam goodness.

Anyhow, I hope this inspires some ideas among the brilliant minds at Veeam. Thanks for tolerating my ramblings!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Any chance we'll ever have all Veeam components available as virtual appliances?

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
your request is valid.

I moved it to the general forum, because vSphere only does not cover tens of thousands of Veeam customers (which already is the first point ;-))

Many customers prefer standalone installations on a physical system to have backup independent from production (especially customers with only a few hundred machines). For those Windows is easier in most cases.

To answer your question: we thought about that and we get that request regularly. We have to make the choice whether we have a feature freeze for years to port VBR to Linux (Windows OVAs are not possible) or to continue with new features and add Linux capabilities step by step.

Full move to Linux it not an option. Maintaining both Windows and Linux is also not an option.

Thanks for your understanding.
Hannes