Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TomCZ
Novice
Liked: never

Any solution for disaster of copy job?

Post by TomCZ »

scenario

local backup job is run in remote office then by copy job copied to second storage via Internet line.

All was set up and because of the data was too big to set up the copy job it was used external USB disk to move all the data to the second storage.

All is fine until one day!!!!!!!!!!! ->>>>>

The copy job FAILED and it would take too many time to finish copy job properly via Internet line

So there is idea to use USB disk and move the data by it again to makes copy job works properly again like at the beginning.

BUT

We need to keep local backup running every day in remote office.

Is there any way to export local backup to external USB drive and run another Veeam TEMP local backup until the copy job export to USB disk is finished?

Or is there any solution for this situation?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Any solution for disaster of copy job?

Post by foggy »

TomCZ wrote:The copy job FAILED and it would take too many time to finish copy job properly via Internet line

So there is idea to use USB disk and move the data by it again to makes copy job works properly again like at the beginning.
Tomas, could you please clarify what do you mean by failed and why do you need to re-seed the backup copy? If the backup copy job isn't able to copy all the required data (for example, the interval has expired or connection has dropped), the interrupted restore point will be incomplete and you will not be able to restore all the VMs contained in it. During the next sync interval, data transfer will be resumed and missing blocks (those that are required to build the new restore point corresponding to the VM latest state) will be transferred along with the changes occurred since the last source restore point. Previous restore point (the one the connection drop has occurred on) will be left in incomplete state.
TomCZ wrote:We need to keep local backup running every day in remote office.

Is there any way to export local backup to external USB drive and run another Veeam TEMP local backup until the copy job export to USB disk is finished?
Do you mean that you're using reverse incremental backup mode for the local backup job and the backup file is locked so that backup copy job cannot perform its activity?
TomCZ
Novice

Post by TomCZ »

I guess the issue is because we made more local backups before we run the next copy job so now it takes ages to recalculate all the data and copy it to remote location. But the result is obvious we can not copy the local backup by copy job as usually in normal time. So I need to seed a new copy job but in the same time I need to run some local backups in the remote office. I can not be without any backup. Is the scenario clear? Maybe to make it more simple:

is it possible to do it this way?

1] local Backup X ----> copy job X failed ---> repository RX
2] new local Backup Y to local repository LY scheduled to be run every day
3] when 2] set up and started -> local Backup X stopped and exported to USB drive
4] when the Backup X is exported and imported to repository RX the local Backup Y is stopped and after retention time the backup Y is deleted.

is it possible to do it this way. Do I need more then one proxy server in the remote office?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Since you cannot map backup copy job to a backup chain containing increments, I recommend creating a second backup copy job (local), which will generate new full restore point that can then be copied to external media and sent to remote location for mapping.
TomCZ
Novice

Post by TomCZ »

Ok, but how can I backup the servers during the time the second backup copy job run? it will take more then one day for sure. That is my original question ;-)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Seems you have pretty big backup then. Then you can use the second regular backup job processing the same VMs to create a brand new full backup to be used for backup copy job seeding. New active full should be faster.