Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kaboomza
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jaques Coetsee

Any specific config for 10GB NIC's?

Post by kaboomza »

Just wanted to know if there is anything special I should be doing with regards to 10GB nics on the veeam proxys for the best throughput? stuff like jumbo frames or teaming etc... ?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Any specific config for 10GB NIC's?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Jaques!

It will work just fine with default configuration, however fine-tuning can be done, but it is really configuration dependent. Like Transport mode of choice, for example, or Target Write Speed.
Check out overall Proxy Configuration Best Practices.

Hope that helps!
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd »

Hello Jaques.

One of the best things you can have on a data repository is a high count of physical CPU cores - think data ingest.

If you have a data repository with 44 physical CPU cores, for example, you can have up to 44 concurrent tasks on your data repository. Generally speaking, more cores means more data can be ingested at one time.

Hope this helps.
kaboomza
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jaques Coetsee

Post by kaboomza »

so if I had a server with 20 cores. I could have 20 concurrent tasks running on the proxy and 20 concurrent tasks set for the repository? surely something will struggle?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Please take a look at our release notes as well to find more information about hardware requirements for proxy and repository: pages 7-8.
However, I would say that the best method to define an optimal concurrent tasks number for any environment is a testing on real workloads.
It depends on many different factors such as proxy transport mode and type of repository, repository write speed, backup chain type etc.

Thanks!