Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
coveytx
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: c covey

Anyone using TL2000 tape drive with iSCSI?

Post by coveytx »

Hi, we have Veeam on a Dell PowerEdge R510 and want to archive VM backups to a Dell TL2000, that uses the iSCSI to SAS bridge -- anyone using a TL2000 with iSCSI? I just want to make sure the server, which will have BackupExec, can see the TL2000 as a tape drive.

Thank you,

Chad
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Anyone using TL2000 tape drive with iSCSI?

Post by tsightler »

While I haven't specifically used the TL2000 with iSCSI, I have been doing iSCSI based backups from VM's since we went pretty much all virtual machines back in 2007 (hey, I was practically a pioneer back then).

The only problem I can remember having with iSCSI and tape libraries/drives was that we could not get a tape library to work reliable with the early hardware iSCSI HBA's from Qlogic when used under Windows. They would work fine with Linux, and the software initiators would work fine in both Windows and Linux (for accessing tape libraries from within VM's this was great), but we had nothing but problems with the Qlogic iSCSI HBA's when trying to use them for tape access, although they worked great for disks access and Boot-from-SAN.

Anyway, I think you'll be fine.
coveytx
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: c covey

Re: Anyone using TL2000 tape drive with iSCSI?

Post by coveytx »

tsightler, thank you for the input, we are looking to purchase BackupExec (as Windows 2008 dropped tape support) and have been in contact with both Symantec and Dell and we haven't been able to get a 'yes, definitely' answer so far.

Chad