Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
luckyinfil
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Apparently Veeam doesn't work with Deduplication Appliances

Post by luckyinfil »

Opened a case (Case # 0056918) with technical support when I had issues restoring (file level recovery) from a CIFS dedupe appliance and was told that veeam doesn't work with dedupe appliances.

I've verified though windows copy and writes that there are no issues with the speed of the appliance.

Can anybody confirm?
davegold
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dave Gold

Re: Apparently Veeam doesn't work with Deduplication Applian

Post by davegold »

Which dedup appliance? Given that Veeam and Exagrid market together, I would say that the statement about not supporting dedup appliances has to be taken with a grain of salt. I wonder if they meant that they thought the issue was on the appliance, and that you would have to contact that vendor for support.
luckyinfil
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Post by luckyinfil »

HP StoreOnce VSA is being tested, which apparently is a product of a Veeam partner.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

I took a look at the notes on your ticket and didn't really see where the support engineer said it wouldn't work with dedupe appliances, only that it can be much slower when performing FLR, which is very true due to random I/O nature of performing an FLR from a flat VM image. That being said, at first glance you seem to be getting a different error that doesn't ppear to be performance related at all, it actually looks like an FLR process is already running for the same VM. Do you see any volumes mounted in C:\VeeamFLR? How long does it take before you get the error message?