Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ori
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ori Besser

Application aware with SQL differential backups [02562287]

Post by ori »

We use regular SQL full and differential backups on a SQL 2000 (Windows 2003) instance. In addition we use Veeam to backup and replicate the server (with Guest Processing set to "Perform Copy Only").
When trying to restore the database from the file backup we couldn't restore the differential backup and we have noticed that Veeam backups change the database_backup_lsn of the differentials.

I have tested the behavior on a SQL 2016 instance (Windows 2012 R2) where Veeam did not affect the chain and the differential restore was successful. Is this an OS/SQL version issue?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Application aware with SQL differential backups [0256228

Post by veremin »

SQL 2000 is not supported for application aware processing. So, disable in-guest processing altogether. Otherwise different issues might occur. Thanks.
ori
Enthusiast

Post by ori »

Thanks Vladimir,
Can you point me to the documentation that states this?
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin »

ori
Enthusiast

Post by ori »

These are the requirements for "Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SQL Server" for database restore, this is not my case, I'm not trying to restore SQL database with Veeam. Also, I'm not trying to process transaction logs, I am aware that it is not supported as well.
According to https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95, Application-aware processing is supported for Microsoft Windows 2003 SP1 and later.

I just need to verify if copy-only backup is not supported because this is something I wasn't aware of and it changes the picture a bit for my company backups.