Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MStrong
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matthew Strong

Archiving or Deleting Source Files after backup

Post by MStrong »

Good Day,
I'm interested to know if/how I would be able to accomplish an archiving process utilizing Veeam.

The scenario: I have several executive email archive files (.pst files) that I need to maintain a backup/archive of. Currently we are consolidating those .pst files from the executive workstations every weekend with a file synchronization tool and bringing those files into our network file server. Those email archive files are ~100GB and growing, which is taking up valuable space on our user-facing file shares. I would like to store those same .pst files within the Veeam repository (which has Terabytes of available capacity), however I need Veeam to then have knowledge about them so they can be properly managed as part of our overall backup strategy (duplicated to tape, etc.).
Given that we currently backup our file server, those files are included in the file server backup and additionally archived to tape, however I want to move their interim storage from the file server to the Veeam repository so they can continue to be archived to tape periodically but are not stored on a volume where they impact the available capacity of user facing file shares.

Possible solutions: I can think of a few different ways to approach this:
1) It is not economically feasible to use a windows agent license for one PST file. No way I can have that cost approved, especially while I have another mechanism which is currently working. So, I cannot have Veeam reach out to the individual workstations to grab copies of those files.
2) I can have our other file synchronization mechanism simply send the files over to the Veeam repository, however then Veeam will not have any knowledge of them and won't have any restore metadata or be able to include them on the periodic tape archive. I would need an automated method of making sure those files were seen and inventoried by Veeam so they can be managed, overwritten, etc. (Is there such a thing as a 'Drop-Folder' in Veeam B&R?)
3) (This would my first choice if possible): Given that our file server is a VM and already protected by Veeam, can I set up a special, separate backup for just the .pst files (or just the parent folder of said files) from within that virtual machine and have the backup job remove the original files once they have been copied into the repository by the backup job? (Which would allow Veeam to inventory/manage those files and remove the source files after verifying the backup files which would free up ~100 GB on our user facing file shares.) The only way I can think to do this would be with a post backup batch file execution to delete the files, however I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that mechanism as it is not Veeam deleting the files (after ensuring validity of the backup) it would be an operating system task with no validation of the file before it is erased.

Any other suggestions that I may have not thought of would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you,
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Archiving or Deleting Source Files after backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I hope I got everything :-)

1) no additional comment
2) maybe a file-to-tape can help? I just copies every file you point at to tape
3) What about adding an extra disk to the VM? Disk exclusions are easy. You could also try bitlooker but that might be more complex.

Best regards,
Hannes