Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ssdn108
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Aman Nangia

Are all Veeam Services in 12.1 running as Local System if SQL Standard DB is on remote server?

Post by ssdn108 »

hi,
Are all Veeam Services in v12.1 running as 'Local System' if its SQL Standard DB is on a remote SQL server? What's the best practice of this username & it's membership to be (i.e. part of domain admin or local admin on that SQL server) that is communicating with remote SQL VeeamBackup DB?
Thx
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Are all Veeam Services in 12.1 running as Local System if SQL Standard DB is on remote server?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello ssdn108,

Yes, Veeam services run local system account (or the one that you've specified during the setup, keep in mind that not all the services will use custom account, some will still rely on local system anyway) and it's unrelated to the account you use for your database configuration. You can change these settings during the product setup: Step 7. Specify Service Account Settings and Step 8. Specify Database Engine and Instance.
ssdn108
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Aman Nangia

Re: Are all Veeam Services in 12.1 running as Local System if SQL Standard DB is on remote server?

Post by ssdn108 »

Thx. If we use native DB a/c i.e. if we specify user login/creds to connect to that Database on that remote sql server & not use win native authentication, does that user name get listed somewhere in VBR services locally? From your response, it looks like not as they are not related but just wanted to confirm. And can that DB user name/passwd for that remote SQL server be changed later once VBR is in production? If yes, what/where it needs to be changed in VBR so that it can talk to its veeambackup db sitting on that remote sql server with that new a/c and passwd? I understand it needs to be changed in SQL side with db_owner and other areas but not sure in VBR side of the things. Thx again