Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gfarcas
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: George Farcas

Automatic proxy selection on large scale Veeam deployment

Post by gfarcas »

Hello,

Is it best practice to keep automatic selection of proxies in an environment with over 70 proxies in a single VBR.
Most of the proxies are configured as hot add and we have multiple vcenters. Only the proxies from the same vCenter should be used.
I see that Veeam does choose that correctly after it checks all 70 proxies but I am concerned this might be an issue as our proxy number increase.

Would manual assignment of proxies be a better solution from the performance point of view?

Best regards,
George
Programming quote - "When I developed this program only god & I knew what I did, now only god knows"
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Automatic proxy selection on large scale Veeam deployment

Post by foggy »

Hi George, if proxy availability checks take considerable time, you can test the manual assignment, of course, and see whether it provides any performance benefits. Keep in mind that fact in future though, when you add VMs to the jobs, to avoid issues when some VM is processed by a sub-optimal proxy due to the fact that the job is limited to a particular pool of proxies.
gfarcas
Service Provider

Post by gfarcas »

Most of them are limited by design though, even though automatic assignment check 70 proxies, only 4 are actually able to perform the job.
In this case it probably manual assignment would be a best practice.

Does proxy selector actually checks connectivity during proxy check or just checks up the DB?
Programming quote - "When I developed this program only god & I knew what I did, now only god knows"
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R checks proxy availability at the stage of resource assignment.
gfarcas
Service Provider

Post by gfarcas »

By proxy availability you mean network checks and API calls to vCenters?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I believe there are no actual network pings, Veeam B&R enumerates proxies to find the suitable ones (i.e. having appropriate access to the source datastore) and detect available transport modes based on the results of rescan operations stored in the database. Then tasks are assigned to the proxies based on their load/free slots available.

You could ask our engineers for assistance in determining what particular operations take time during that phase to see if switching to a manual assignment can help.